Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Ken Ken is offline

Default Turning always save backup file to off

I used to know how to set this off using the template function. It has not
happened in some time, but reappeared when my work PC got updated from Excel
97 to 2003.
Can anyone out there shed a little light?
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

To stop creating the .wbk files?

File|SaveAs|Tool|General Options|Uncheck "always create backup"

This setting is for for that one workbook/template. It's not an application or
user setting.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Did you mean .XLK files?

..WBK are Word backup files

But I see by Ken's response he's happy.

Gord

Ken wrote:

I used to know how to set this off using the template function. It has not
happened in some time, but reappeared when my work PC got updated from Excel
97 to 2003.
Can anyone out there shed a little light?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Oops.

Thanks for the correction (again???--I think you've corrected me on this
before--but I haven't learned!).

Ken wrote:

I used to know how to set this off using the template function. It has not
happened in some time, but reappeared when my work PC got updated from Excel
97 to 2003.
Can anyone out there shed a little light?
Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

What's really strange and frightening is.............I remember the difference
between the two<g

Ken wrote:

I used to know how to set this off using the template function. It has not
happened in some time, but reappeared when my work PC got updated from Excel
97 to 2003.
Can anyone out there shed a little light?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I want to turn ON the Excel automatic backup facility in Excel 2003, the one
that makes *.xlk files. I know to do it on a file by file basis using
File/save as/... But isn't there a way to set an option to make backups for
ALL excel files, the way there is for WORD?

Ken wrote:

I used to know how to set this off using the template function. It has not
happened in some time, but reappeared when my work PC got updated from Excel
97 to 2003.
Can anyone out there shed a little light?
Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Nothing built into excel.

You could create a workbook template named book.xlt and store it in your XLStart
folder. Make sure you include all the settings you like in that template.

In xl2003, a new workbook will be created based on this workbook when you click
on the New Icon on the standard toolbar.

For existing workbooks, you could create a macro that you could run that would
save the file the way you like.

But it'll be up to you to run it each time you want.