Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Nag message on excel installation with Vista

Have installed my trusty Office XP onto a new laptop running Windows Vista.

When I open Excel I get the meassage "Compile error in hidden module:
AutoExecNew"
When I close Excel I get the message "Compile error in hidden module:
DistMon"

As far as I can ascertain, Excel is working OK. Anyone got any ideas as to
wha my problem is & what I can do about it?

Regards

Philip

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Coincidence with Vista:

Take a look he

OFF: "Compile Error in Hidden Module" Error Message When You Start
Word or Excel

It points at PDFMaker.xla as being the culprit.

If you move/delete that addin, you should be ok.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Thanks Dave

Advice looked god. Found and deleted the .xla file you pointed at and
searched for other ocurences: none. However, I still get the same problem. I
do have Norto Antivirus but hat was update yesterday.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again

Philip

Philip Reece-Heal wrote:

Have installed my trusty Office XP onto a new laptop running Windows
Vista.

When I open Excel I get the meassage "Compile error in hidden module:
AutoExecNew"
When I close Excel I get the message "Compile error in hidden
module:
DistMon"

As far as I can ascertain, Excel is working OK. Anyone got any ideas as
wha my problem is & what I can do about it?

Regards

Philip

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Keep looking. I bet you missed one of the locations of that addin.

Or...

Maybe the name changed in different versions? I'd look for pdf*.xla, then
*.xla.

Remember to look in hidden folders, too.

And maybe an old DOS command would help (I don't know if it'll work in Vista,
though):

Start|Run
(is there such a thing??)

CMD
(to get to the Command prompt)

cd\
(to get to the root directory)

dir pdf*.xla /s
or
dir *.xla /s

The /s says to search subfolders, too.

Philip Reece-Heal wrote:

Have installed my trusty Office XP onto a new laptop running Windows
Vista.

When I open Excel I get the meassage "Compile error in hidden module:
AutoExecNew"
When I close Excel I get the message "Compile error in hidden
module:
DistMon"

As far as I can ascertain, Excel is working OK. Anyone got any ideas as
wha my problem is & what I can do about it?

Regards

Philip

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Philip, take a look at
http://www.onlinecomputertips.com/of...ile_error.html

Bob Flanagan
Macro Systems
http://www.add-ins.com

"Philip Reece-Heal" wrote in message
Have installed my trusty Office XP onto a new laptop running Windows
Vista.

When I open Excel I get the meassage "Compile error in hidden module:
AutoExecNew"
When I close Excel I get the message "Compile error in hidden module:
DistMon"

As far as I can ascertain, Excel is working OK. Anyone got any ideas as
to wha my problem is & what I can do about it?

Regards

Philip

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Dave

You are a star. The old ways are still the best; lovely to use the command
prompt again and lo and beld it found another copy of that pdf file. No more
nag screens in Excel now.

Havn't found Start/Run in Vista but the comand prompt can be accessed frm
Start/AllProgrames/Accessories..
Thanks again for your help and patience

Philip

PS apologies for not replying sooner

Philip Reece-Heal wrote:

Have installed my trusty Office XP onto a new laptop running Windows
Vista.

When I open Excel I get the meassage "Compile error in hidden
module:
AutoExecNew"
When I close Excel I get the message "Compile error in hidden
module:
DistMon"

As far as I can ascertain, Excel is working OK. Anyone got any ideas
as
wha my problem is & what I can do about it?

Regards

Philip

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

In WinXP, I can hold the flying-windows key and hit the r key to bring up the
Run dialog.

Flying-windows e is windows explorer
flying-windows d is the desktop
flying-windows m minimizes everything (like flying-windows d)
flying-windows shift-m (capital M) puts things back

(I'm too lazy to load the virtual pc that has vista on it!)

Philip Reece-Heal wrote:

Have installed my trusty Office XP onto a new laptop running Windows
Vista.

When I open Excel I get the meassage "Compile error in hidden
module:
AutoExecNew"
When I close Excel I get the message "Compile error in hidden
module:
DistMon"

As far as I can ascertain, Excel is working OK. Anyone got any ideas
as
wha my problem is & what I can do about it?

Regards

Philip

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

And flying-windows u - brings up the Utility manager, for Magnifier,
Narrator and On-screen keyboard
flying-windows l - Logs the current user off
--
Regards

Roger Govier