Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Can't open any xls files

Excel 2003. I know little about Excel.
It can run by just starting Excel with a blank file. But any time I try to
open an xls file I get a generic error "Microsoft Excel has encountered a
problem and needs to close...". These files are able to be opened by Excel in
a laptop in the next room so the files are okay.

I have tried the fix and repair option in the Office setup. I have
uninstalled Excel and installed again (restarting after each). Still no go.
The rest of the Office installation is fine.

Is there anything else I can try please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Thanks. But it's my Excel programme that seems corrupted, not the xls files
themselves, does this utility fix the programme or the xls files?

" wrote:

OfficeFIX or the Excel repair program in the Suite excelfix. From all
the applications I tried it is the best. You can google it and there is
a free version.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi,
Please try opening this files in excel safe mode
Click on Start -Run -and type Excel /s
Excel will opens in safe mode and in title bar u will find MS Excel
(Safe Mode)
from here try to open the file by clicking on File -open

Whant happens

Thanks Allen