Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
REM REM is offline

Default Workbook Date

why is the date on workbooks changing when I open it.

Workbook dates used to change only when changes were made.
--
REM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

And that date would be reflected where?

Modified date?

When you open the file, excel always changes that modified date. If you close
without saving, it'll be changed back.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:15:02 -0800, REM wrote:

why is the date on workbooks changing when I open it.

Workbook dates used to change only when changes were made.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
REM REM is offline

Gord
Thanks.
It is the Modified Date.
It is changing even when I am not saving the file.
Regards,
REM
--
REM

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

And that date would be reflected where?

Modified date?

When you open the file, excel always changes that modified date. If you close
without saving, it'll be changed back.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:15:02 -0800, REM wrote:

why is the date on workbooks changing when I open it.

Workbook dates used to change only when changes were made.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

It remains with the changed modified date even after closing with no changes?

Where do you see this date?

In Windows Explorer or in the Excel FileOpen dialog?

Do not open the file before checking the modified date.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:33:01 -0800, REM wrote:

Gord
Thanks.
It is the Modified Date.
It is changing even when I am not saving the file.
Regards,
REM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
REM REM is offline

Gord

Every Excel file I worked on today was in the recovery window of Excel when
I opened it. (What do I do not to accept newer date in unchanged file?)

Yes, date changes even if not modified. Changes if opened.
I see the date in the modified date column.
The date changes in Windows Explorer
REM
--
REM

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

It remains with the changed modified date even after closing with no changes?

Where do you see this date?

In Windows Explorer or in the Excel FileOpen dialog?

Do not open the file before checking the modified date.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:33:01 -0800, REM wrote:

Gord
Thanks.
It is the Modified Date.
It is changing even when I am not saving the file.
Regards,
REM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
REM REM is offline

Gord

Excel DOES NOT ask if I want to save the changes when I open and close.
In Word the dialog box opens and asks yes/no/cancel

REM
--
REM

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

It remains with the changed modified date even after closing with no changes?

Where do you see this date?

In Windows Explorer or in the Excel FileOpen dialog?

Do not open the file before checking the modified date.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:33:01 -0800, REM wrote:

Gord
Thanks.
It is the Modified Date.
It is changing even when I am not saving the file.
Regards,
REM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Do you have any code that saves the file silently upon closing?

By "recovery window" do you mean the dialog that appears after Excel crashes and
presents you with a choice of workbooks to recover?

Gord

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:13:01 -0800, REM wrote:

Gord

Every Excel file I worked on today was in the recovery window of Excel when
I opened it. (What do I do not to accept newer date in unchanged file?)

Yes, date changes even if not modified. Changes if opened.
I see the date in the modified date column.
The date changes in Windows Explorer
REM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
REM REM is offline

Gord

Have no clue about code "that saves the file silently." I have not done
anything proactively to change settings.

Yes I do mean the dialog. Excel did not seem to crash. Recovery window with
all opened workbooks appeared when I opened Excel after your 1st response.
--
REM