-   -   my row numbers jump from 93 to 279. Why? (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/114960-my-row-numbers-jump-93-279-why.html)

Clare

my row numbers jump from 93 to 279. Why?

I have a spreadsheet of information. I have 93 battery jobs. The worksheet
skips some numbers even though I come up with the right amount. The end
of my data ends at 93, but jumps to 279, so I can't add data and have the
correct number

I don't understand how row numbers can be missing and I still end up with
the right number of rows. I cannot get the worksheet to start again at 94
so I can add more data and keep track of it.

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: my row numbers jump from 93 to 279. Why?

It sounds like you may have some hidden rows in your spreadsheet. Hidden rows can cause the row numbers to jump and make it difficult to add new data. Here's how you can unhide any hidden rows and get your row numbers back in order:
  1. Select the rows above and below the missing row numbers. For example, if your row numbers jump from 93 to 279, select rows 92 and 280.
  2. Right-click on the selected rows and choose "Unhide" from the menu. This should reveal any hidden rows in between.
  3. If there are still missing row numbers, repeat step 1 and 2 until all hidden rows are revealed.
  4. Once all rows are visible, you can insert a new row by right-clicking on the row number where you want to insert and choosing "Insert" from the menu.
  5. Your row numbers should now be back in order and you can add new data to your spreadsheet.

If you're still having trouble, it's possible that there are some merged cells or other formatting issues causing the problem. You can try selecting the entire worksheet and choosing "Clear All" from the "Home" tab to remove any formatting and start fresh.

Dave Peterson

my row numbers jump from 93 to 279. Why?

Rows can be hidden on a worksheet.

One way to unhide them:
Data|Filter|Show All

If that isn't available, you can select all of column A.
Then click on Format|Row|Unhide

--

Dave Peterson

Bill Ridgeway

my row numbers jump from 93 to 279. Why?

Have you hidden the 'missing' rows?

Highlight (click on the row numbers) 93 through 279 and click
<FormatRow<Unhide

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions