Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
S. Nyman

Default Turn Off save prompt, reminder when closing modified WORD...

Some EXCEL files display a prompt when closing the file that asks if you want
to save changes even when the file was merely opened and viewed, no cells or
formatting changes were made.

This creates an extra step, "no" must be clicked before the file can be
closed.

If the setting that causes the reminder or dialog box to open could be
switched off, in both WORD and Excel it would eliminate this annoyance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
DaveO

You could quickly write a routine that set the app warnings to be false on
the BeforeClose event if it was too much of an issue ...

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

End Sub

HTH.

"Bob Umlas" wrote:

imagine you have a cell with the formula =NOW()

just opening the file DOES change the worksheet, hence the prompt.

"S. Nyman" <S. wrote in message
Some EXCEL files display a prompt when closing the file that asks if you

want
to save changes even when the file was merely opened and viewed, no cells

or
formatting changes were made.

This creates an extra step, "no" must be clicked before the file can be
closed.

If the setting that causes the reminder or dialog box to open could be
switched off, in both WORD and Excel it would eliminate this annoyance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

DaveO wrote:
You could quickly write a routine that set the app warnings to be false on
the BeforeClose event if it was too much of an issue ...

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

End Sub

HTH.

But if the workbook does not currently contain macros then you'd have
warnings about macros to click through before it opens or remember to
hold the shift key down to disable the macros.

Looks to me like a no win situation. Excel's just doing what comes
naturally.

Regards

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
DaveO

If you alter your security setting then the issue would not happen. Also you
could consider digitally signing the workbook and then allowing that
signature as a trusted source, again getting you around the issue of warnings.

It's not ideal I grant you, however there are ways to get around these
things if you are prepared to.

" wrote:

DaveO wrote:
You could quickly write a routine that set the app warnings to be false on
the BeforeClose event if it was too much of an issue ...

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

End Sub

HTH.

But if the workbook does not currently contain macros then you'd have
warnings about macros to click through before it opens or remember to
hold the shift key down to disable the macros.

Looks to me like a no win situation. Excel's just doing what comes
naturally.

Regards

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
S. Nyman

" wrote:

DaveO wrote:
You could quickly write a routine that set the app warnings to be false on
the BeforeClose event if it was too much of an issue ...

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

End Sub

HTH.

But if the workbook does not currently contain macros then you'd have
warnings about macros to click through before it opens or remember to
hold the shift key down to disable the macros.

Looks to me like a no win situation. Excel's just doing what comes
naturally.

Regards

Steve

Appreciate feedback. We use VERY simplistic EXCEL files as checklists and tracking tools. No macros and no formulas. Thus it is very frustrating that some of the files have the prompt to save when closing and some files do not. Since not all files conatin the prompt, I assumed there was some optional setting that could be toggled off if I knew where to look.

Also have the same problem in WORD docs.

Any ideas?