Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
smckay

Default Drop Down Box Help

Hi I am new to using Excel more interactively. I am able to create a
drop down box so a user can choose a day of the week for example.

But I want to be able to populate other cells in the column depending
on the choice from the drop down list.

e.g. choose Tuesday from a list of days of the week in A2 and have B2,
C2 etc filled with related data.

Is this at all possible?

Thank you in advance.

--
smckay
smckay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35828

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
manxman

This is quite possible. If you have only a limited number of choices, you
can use IF statements in the cells to populate. If you want more choices,
use a vlookup in the cells to populate, using the drop down cell as the
lookup value.

I made a very simple example spreadsheet, but I don't know how to insert it
into this message. Email me if you'd like, and I'll send it to you.

"smckay" wrote:

Hi I am new to using Excel more interactively. I am able to create a
drop down box so a user can choose a day of the week for example.

But I want to be able to populate other cells in the column depending
on the choice from the drop down list.

e.g. choose Tuesday from a list of days of the week in A2 and have B2,
C2 etc filled with related data.

Is this at all possible?

Thank you in advance.

--
smckay
smckay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35828
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=556081

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
smckay

the second I can PM you (must be too few posts) I would love some help.

I have tried to use some if statements;

if "selection a"
then "situation a"
else
if.............

cheers manxman

--
smckay
smckay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35828
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=556081

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips

You need VLOOKUP. Check it out in help.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"smckay" wrote in
message ...

Hi I am new to using Excel more interactively. I am able to create a
drop down box so a user can choose a day of the week for example.

But I want to be able to populate other cells in the column depending
on the choice from the drop down list.

e.g. choose Tuesday from a list of days of the week in A2 and have B2,
C2 etc filled with related data.

Is this at all possible?

Thank you in advance.

--
smckay
smckay's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=556081

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
smckay

Bob Phillips Wrote:
You need VLOOKUP. Check it out in help.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Hi Bob I had a quick read of VLOOKUP. So depending on the Selection of
the drop down the VLOOKUP formula will populate the other cells in the
row?

sorry I am trying to get my head around it

--
smckay
smckay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35828
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=556081

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips

Yes, you use the DV cell as the lookup value, in each case, and referent
into a table of values using a different column offset for each value. make
sure you use the ,False) at the end.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"smckay" wrote in
message ...

Bob Phillips Wrote:
You need VLOOKUP. Check it out in help.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Hi Bob I had a quick read of VLOOKUP. So depending on the Selection of
the drop down the VLOOKUP formula will populate the other cells in the
row?

sorry I am trying to get my head around it

--
smckay
smckay's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=556081

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
smckay

Ok this is driving me crazy I must be doing something obvious wrong,
here is what I have

Column A
Drop Down Box with options
RAM
CPU
HARD DISK

Column B
If Ram is selected a description of the RAM
If CPU is selected " " " " "
currently this will not work! :(

--
smckay
smckay's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35828
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=556081

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips

I have posted an example at http://cjoint.com/?gCsHzopk6K

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"smckay" wrote in
message ...

Ok this is driving me crazy I must be doing something obvious wrong,
here is what I have

Column A
Drop Down Box with options
RAM
CPU
HARD DISK

Column B
If Ram is selected a description of the RAM
If CPU is selected " " " " "
currently this will not work! :(

--
smckay
smckay's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=556081

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
smckay

thanks to everyone who helped, I now understand vlookup and have a
spreadsheet that does as I want it to! :D

cheers all