Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
henrikjt

Default creating an advanced employee schedule

Hello Everyone
I need to make an employee schedule in excel. I am not sure if it is
possible, but here are my constraints:

20 employees

5-6 different meeting locations (sm1, sm2, sm3, sm4, sm5, sm6) These
locations are scattered within our service area.

some employees can only meet at certain locations (ex. paul can meet at
either sm2 or sm3)

all employees are PT so they can only work on certain days or a certain
amount of days per week. (ex. paul can work up to 4 days a week and jim
can work only sat and fri)

I would like to make a program in excel that will take all these
factors into consideration. EX. if i try to schedule paul on sm4 the
program will not let me do it or it will give a warning or if i try to
schedule paul for 5 days it will give me a warning.
It would also be great to have a counter that will show how many days
each employee has left to be scheduled for, EX: if i scheduled paul for
2 days it will show that he can actually work 2 days more if i need him
to.

I know this might be a lot, but i also know there are so many talented
people here so i am sure it is feasible. Please let me know if you know
how to do this or if you could guide me through it.

or if you know about a different program that can solve this please let
me know
Thanks in advance

henrikjt
henrikjt's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35671
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=554766

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JLatham

This can be done in Excel, but it is actually a problem that is more
appropriately solved with a database application such as Microsoft Access.

I've worked up a solution in Excel, if you'd like to examine it, just reply
to this posting and I'll put it up with some explanation on how it works.
It's a little complex, and definitely too much to explain in the space
available here. I can put the workbook up on my website and give you a link
to it. I'd put it up now but I haven't added any explanations to it to help
you understand what's going on.

"henrikjt" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JLatham

I managed to put together some "how to use" info and a discussion of how it
works, and the file has been uploaded if you want it he
http://www.jlathamsite.com/uploads/for_henrijkt.xls

Contact info is in the workbook if you need to ask about it specifically.

"henrikjt" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks, i really appriciate that you took time to figure something out,
ill take a look at it right away