Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Rebecca

Default Jumping Cursor

Greetings. I am using Excel 2007 (beta), and I have been experiencing a
somewhat annoying situation. Occasionally when I am somewhere down several
hundred rows in a spreadsheet, and edit or add something, my cursor suddenly
jumps to the beginning of the sheet (and if I remember correctly it sometimes
jumps to the end). I couldn't find any answer to this question in the help
file, discussion group, or on the Internet. Can any of the Excel experts
explain why this is happening?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben

Are you perhaps d-clicking on the bottom or top border of the cell?

This action will cause the cursor to jump to top or bottom of column.

Left and right borders of course work the same.

This is not exclusive to 2007 version.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 01:12:01 -0700, Rebecca
wrote:

Greetings. I am using Excel 2007 (beta), and I have been experiencing a
somewhat annoying situation. Occasionally when I am somewhere down several
hundred rows in a spreadsheet, and edit or add something, my cursor suddenly
jumps to the beginning of the sheet (and if I remember correctly it sometimes
jumps to the end). I couldn't find any answer to this question in the help
file, discussion group, or on the Internet. Can any of the Excel experts
explain why this is happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Rebecca

Dear Gord,

First, what is "d-clikcing," second, what is the purpose of this function
(jumping to the top or bottom), third, why does the cursor sometimes jump to
the top and other times to the bottom, and fourth, can this feature be turned
off?

wrote:

Greetings. I am using Excel 2007 (beta), and I have been experiencing a
somewhat annoying situation. Occasionally when I am somewhere down several
hundred rows in a spreadsheet, and edit or add something, my cursor suddenly
jumps to the beginning of the sheet (and if I remember correctly it sometimes
jumps to the end). I couldn't find any answer to this question in the help
file, discussion group, or on the Internet. Can any of the Excel experts
explain why this is happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben

d-clicking is double-clicking with left mouse button.

Direction depends upon which border of the cell is d-clicked.

The purpose is to quickly move up and down columns and forth and back across
rows.

You can disable it by ToolsOptionsEdit. Uncheck "allow cell drag and drop".

Disabling that will also disable your ability to drag/copy cells which would be
a great disadvantage.

I would suggest you don't d-click on any cell borders.

Gord

wrote:

Greetings. I am using Excel 2007 (beta), and I have been experiencing a
somewhat annoying situation. Occasionally when I am somewhere down several
hundred rows in a spreadsheet, and edit or add something, my cursor suddenly
jumps to the beginning of the sheet (and if I remember correctly it sometimes
jumps to the end). I couldn't find any answer to this question in the help
file, discussion group, or on the Internet. Can any of the Excel experts
explain why this is happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Rebecca

Thanks Gord.

It seems this is something MS should try to change or alter (that is, permit
users to disable the "jump cursor function" while retaining the drag and drop
function). Anyway, thanks for your help.