Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Paula_p

Default Desperately need help!!

Is it impossible to do an inventory system in excel?
I've tried on numerous occasions for the past month to get a simple
inventory system to work and i'm having no luck.

I've gotten to the point where my only problem is having a correct record of
stock available. I want to be able to see the correct number of a particular
item available whenever i do stock taking. So far, what i've done is use
iteration to update the stock figure and have sales deducted from that and
the new figure shown in quantity avalable. The problem is
1. the iteration does not stop and its set to 1.
2. if i turn it off the invoice does not subtract the sales from the amount
3. while iteration is on, the invoice only subtracts when the number loops a
second time.
Why won't the invoice recognise the number and deduct from it? So far this
is the best solution i've been able to see, but it doesn't work, and i cant
understand why. I dont get an error or any warnings or anything, so this is
realy puzzling.

Is there any solution at all to my problem, whether its by another method or
formula, or approaching it from a different angle?

Please help. I'm running out of time.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
gls858

Paula_p wrote:
[...]

Inventory management is much more difficult that it appears at first
glance. What about returns, what about items that you have on order,
how about items that you've sold but haven't shipped yet. How are you going
to handle back orders on a customer order. While I suppose that it's
possible to do with Excel there are many inventory packages out there that
do all of this and MUCH more. Why reinvent the wheel? If you're looking to
use this for a business you should be able to justify spending some cash on
a pre-programed package. One that come to mind is Quickbooks. You could
spend hours and hours trying to develop something and never come close to
what you could buy for a few hundred dollars.

just my 2 cents worth,
gls858