Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Hnelg

Default Hashes appear in cell when copying from another

Hi,

I have imported some .txt data into a Excel 2003 spreadsheet. In some
instances, I have had to copy the data from one cell below another such that
the text makes sense. However, in some instances when I do so, the cell
that is being copied to gets filled completely with the hash symbol (#).
Initially, I thought that the problem was only due to cell column width but
when I expand the width the problem still persists.

Doe anyone have any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
hans bal(nl)

Instead of copying part of the data to the cell below, try to wrap the txt in
one cell.

Select the cells,

Press Ctrl + 1
Select tab "alignment"
Choose "word Wrap"

This should save upou some work.

HTH

"Hnelg" wrote:

Hi,

I have imported some .txt data into a Excel 2003 spreadsheet. In some
instances, I have had to copy the data from one cell below another such that
the text makes sense. However, in some instances when I do so, the cell
that is being copied to gets filled completely with the hash symbol (#).
Initially, I thought that the problem was only due to cell column width but
when I expand the width the problem still persists.

Doe anyone have any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Hnelg

Hans,

Thanks for the tip - but no good! By the way, when you mentioned "word
Wrap" do you in fact mean "Wrap text" or is this another option that I'm not
seeing?

I suppose at the end of the day, what I need is a quick way of merging cells
such that the data from the cell below another is quickly merged (appended)
to the one above.

"Hnelg" wrote:

Hi,

I have imported some .txt data into a Excel 2003 spreadsheet. In some
instances, I have had to copy the data from one cell below another such that
the text makes sense. However, in some instances when I do so, the cell
that is being copied to gets filled completely with the hash symbol (#).
Initially, I thought that the problem was only due to cell column width but
when I expand the width the problem still persists.

Doe anyone have any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
hans bal(nl)

Wrap text is what I meant. Sorry.

As I understand it now, it looks like you have the problem that the imported
text is partially imported in one cell and partially in the cell below. Is
that correct

Might it be that the total text becomes too long for the cell if you append
the context of the second cell to the first ?

Hans

"Hnelg" wrote:

Hi,

I have imported some .txt data into a Excel 2003 spreadsheet. In some
instances, I have had to copy the data from one cell below another such that
the text makes sense. However, in some instances when I do so, the cell
that is being copied to gets filled completely with the hash symbol (#).
Initially, I thought that the problem was only due to cell column width but
when I expand the width the problem still persists.

Doe anyone have any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ravi

Hi,

That's right if the contents of the cell are too large and cannot be
displayed in that single cell.To resolve the issue

1..Right click on the cell and then left click on format Cells.In the
allignment tab click on wraptext and that should solve the issue.

To avoid doind this on multiple cells on the page
-.Click on edit then click select all
-click on format and then click cells.
-Now click on alignment tab and click on wrap text

Regards
Ravi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Hnelg

Hi,

Got around this by changing the cell format from "Text" to "General"

Thanks for the assistance all the same.