Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Rebecca

Default SORTING question

Greetings. I am using Excel 2007 (beta) and I have a very large spreadsheet
(455896 rows!) that consists of five columns (with each row in the first four
columns filled in with various data). Of course, I back up the file daily,
and I am well aware of the risks of using a beta, but so far it seems very
stable (knock on wood). The reason I am using Excel 2007 is that it has
expanded capacities (e.g., in the number of rows). The various rows in the
fifth column will be filled in as time goes on (after certain sorts and
resorts, for example).

I want to sort and resort on certain columns occasionally, but I want to
strictly maintain the original order in each of the rows in all of the
columns (I realize this could be done in MS Access, but I have my reasons for
sorting and resorting in Excel). First, I guess I'll have to make a numbered
"key" column (ala Access) in the fifth column to enable a resort to the
original order. Could you please give me some advice on how I can sort and
then resort into the original order? To repeat, it is absolutely essential
to maintain the original order of rows and the five columns.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier

Hi Rebecca

I would insert a new column A.
In A1 enter =Row()
Double click the fill handle at the bottom right corner of cell A1, and
it will repeat the formula down to the extent of your data in column B.
Copy the whole of column A, Paste SpecialValues to fix the numbers and
use this column to be able to sort back to the original order.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Rebecca" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
MartinW

Hi Rebecca,

To my way of thinking if the original is that critical I wouldn't mess
with it. I'd make a copy, do whatever manipulations and printing
that needs to be done then delete the copy, leaving the main file
to carry on in it's merry way.

Just a thought
Martin