Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
PA

Default A Time Format Problem

I remember reading this on this or another Excel group, and now can not find
it. Please help

Column A and B contain Start and End time.
Column C calculates elapsed time =B2-A2
=B3-A3
etc
The sum total elapsed time at bottom of Column C
What I can not remember is the custom format to use in column C so that if
the end time goes past midnight, it calculates correctly.
Thanks for repeating the answer for me.

Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Pete_UK

The custom format you need is:

[h]:mm:ss

this allows hours above 24 to be displayed, rather than wrapping.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
PA

Thanks, but that is not doing what I need.
I may have not explained correctly,
if start time is 11PM and end time is 2 am it should calculate to 3 hours,
but it is yielding negative (displaying ##########)

"Pete_UK" wrote:

The custom format you need is:

[h]:mm:ss

this allows hours above 24 to be displayed, rather than wrapping.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Coderre

Try this formula:

For
A1: (StartTime)
B1: (EndTime)
C1: =MOD(B1-A1,1)
Format C1 as Category: Time, Type: 13:30:55 ( or Custom: h:mm:ss;@)

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"PA" wrote:

I remember reading this on this or another Excel group, and now can not find
it. Please help

Column A and B contain Start and End time.
Column C calculates elapsed time =B2-A2
=B3-A3
etc
The sum total elapsed time at bottom of Column C
What I can not remember is the custom format to use in column C so that if
the end time goes past midnight, it calculates correctly.
Thanks for repeating the answer for me.

Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
PA

Thanks to every one. The problem was the formula
Using =(IF(A2B2,B2+1-A2,B2-A2)) does the trick with the format [hh]:mm