Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
not bright

Default Distance calculations

I am trying to get a formula to produce a distance in feet
Example:
A B C
X corrd y corrd
1 6806.9 1680.62
2 7243.67 1509.92 (Dist. Between a1 & a2)
3 6751.07 1319.53 (Dist. Between a2 & a3)

The numbers are X & Y Coordinates for devices in a CAD program.

I have a formula that I was trying: (ABS(A1-A2)+ABS(B3-B2))/12)
But the results dont match to the distance in the CAD drawing. Or, are my
math skills that bad???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Otto Moehrbach

Assuming Column A is the "X" coordinates of points and Column B is the "Y"
coordinates of the same points, as you have them, then the straight line
distance
between the two points, rows 1 and 2, is the hypotenuse of a right triangle
as follows:
One leg is Abs(A2-A1)
The other leg is Abs(B2-B1)
The hypotenuse is the square root of the sum of the squares of the other two
sides.
The hypotenuse is (((Abs(A2-A1))^2 + (Abs(B2-B1))^2)^.5)/12
HTH Otto
"not bright" <not wrote in message
I am trying to get a formula to produce a distance in feet
Example:
A B C
X corrd y corrd
1 6806.9 1680.62
2 7243.67 1509.92 (Dist. Between a1 & a2)
3 6751.07 1319.53 (Dist. Between a2 & a3)

The numbers are X & Y Coordinates for devices in a CAD program.

I have a formula that I was trying: (ABS(A1-A2)+ABS(B3-B2))/12)
But the results don't match to the distance in the CAD drawing. Or, are my
math skills that bad???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gary''s Student

I am sure that you are very bright, maybe a little forgetful:

Remember Pythagoras

D=sqrt((x1-x2)^2+(y1-y2)^2))
--
Gary's Student

"not bright" wrote:

I am trying to get a formula to produce a distance in feet
Example:
A B C
X corrd y corrd
1 6806.9 1680.62
2 7243.67 1509.92 (Dist. Between a1 & a2)
3 6751.07 1319.53 (Dist. Between a2 & a3)

The numbers are X & Y Coordinates for devices in a CAD program.

I have a formula that I was trying: (ABS(A1-A2)+ABS(B3-B2))/12)
But the results dont match to the distance in the CAD drawing. Or, are my
math skills that bad???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
not bright

Thanks alot

does it matter which one is first (x1-x2 or x2-x1)

"not bright" wrote:

I am trying to get a formula to produce a distance in feet
Example:
A B C
X corrd y corrd
1 6806.9 1680.62
2 7243.67 1509.92 (Dist. Between a1 & a2)
3 6751.07 1319.53 (Dist. Between a2 & a3)

The numbers are X & Y Coordinates for devices in a CAD program.

I have a formula that I was trying: (ABS(A1-A2)+ABS(B3-B2))/12)
But the results dont match to the distance in the CAD drawing. Or, are my
math skills that bad???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bernard Liengme

Since you are squaring the order is unimportant.
3-5 = -2 and -2^2 =4
5-3 = 2 and 2^2 =
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"not bright" wrote:

I am trying to get a formula to produce a distance in feet
Example:
A B C
X corrd y corrd
1 6806.9 1680.62
2 7243.67 1509.92 (Dist. Between a1 & a2)
3 6751.07 1319.53 (Dist. Between a2 & a3)

The numbers are X & Y Coordinates for devices in a CAD program.

I have a formula that I was trying: (ABS(A1-A2)+ABS(B3-B2))/12)
But the results don't match to the distance in the CAD drawing. Or, are
my
math skills that bad???

Junior Member

i am trying tio get distances of 130 varieties with 5 samples each, and the number of parameters are 9, please tell me how i find the mahalanobis distance in excell, i follow the book of Nadranjan (2005),
Junior Member

Thumbs up whoelsale xbox live points

Wholesale xbox live points RegionWelcome to the cheapest xbox 360 live points account site: www.xbox-360-live.us We do both retail and wholesale business on xbox live points account. If you are new to our website, we suggest you to start by retail purchasing to know further about our service and better about quality of our product. But we will also prefer to welcoming people to buy big amount of xbox live points account. At the same while, we offer special prices to wholesale buyers.You may ask how to be a wholesale buyer on our site xbox-360-live.us? �If you buy repeatedly on our website more than 5 times, you will enjoy our old customer treatment and wholesale price on purchasing.�Or you didn't buy from our site before, but you want to get wholesale price of our xbox live points account, we will offer you wholesale price when you buy more than 3 accounts at a time.�If you didn't belong to the above 2 conditions, but you introduce your friends to our website, we will also treat you as our old customer. �To be equal, if you do a Group Buy, which means you and some ones as a group come to buy from us together, that's the best. Definitely, you will get wholesale price.