Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default if.... Anyway around this?

I'm new to this. I need to drop a value into a cell where there is nothing.
The 'target' cell should not have a formula because some days I would need
to place a one time value there , doing so would wipe out the formula.

Example:

A1 B1 C1
BOB JOE =IF(A1="bob",A2=B1)

A2
(BLANK)

I need the blank cell (A2) to take the value of B1 if C1 is true.
Maybe I have the syntax wrong, maybe it's not possible. Let me know.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JMB

In C1, enter
=A1="bob"

In A2, enter
=IF(C1, B1, "")

or leave C1 empty and enter in A2
=IF(A1="bob", B1, "")

You cannot write a function in cell C1 that will place a value in A2.
Functions return values, they don't manipulate other objects (at least not
when called from a worksheet).

" wrote:

I'm new to this. I need to drop a value into a cell where there is nothing.
The 'target' cell should not have a formula because some days I would need
to place a one time value there , doing so would wipe out the formula.

Example:

A1 B1 C1
BOB JOE =IF(A1="bob",A2=B1)

A2
(BLANK)

I need the blank cell (A2) to take the value of B1 if C1 is true.
Maybe I have the syntax wrong, maybe it's not possible. Let me know.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

This may get you started:

Right-click on the sheet tab and select View Code.

Paste this code:

If Target < Range("A1") Then Exit Sub
If Range("A1").Value = "bob" Then
Range("A2").Value = Range("B1").Value

The code only runs if cell A1 has been changed and only checks to see
if "bob" has been entered in that cell, if it has then if copies the
data in B1 to A2.

Regards

Steve