Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
AV Guy

Default Formatting text within a cell

I'm pretty new to Excel ... I want to emulate my formatting in Word of a
title with several bulleted subpoints indented and under it. Every time I hit
"Enter" for a new line, I get skipped to a new cell. Any help will be
appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Coderre

When editing a cell, if you hold down the [Alt] key when you press [Enter],
that will put the subsequent text on a new line in the same cell.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"AV Guy" wrote:

I'm pretty new to Excel ... I want to emulate my formatting in Word of a
title with several bulleted subpoints indented and under it. Every time I hit
"Enter" for a new line, I get skipped to a new cell. Any help will be
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ken Wright

Everyone has told you how to do it, but no-one has mentioned that maybe you
shouldn't. It all depends on your data and what you are trying to achieve,
but generally, you are better off having each element of a list in its own
cell. If you are effectively just using Excel as a word processor then I
guess it probably won't matter, but just worth mentioning.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"AV Guy" wrote in message
I'm pretty new to Excel ... I want to emulate my formatting in Word of a
title with several bulleted subpoints indented and under it. Every time I
hit
"Enter" for a new line, I get skipped to a new cell. Any help will be
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
AV Guy

Understood. Thanks for the input.

------------------------------Â*------------------------------Â*----------------
------------------------------Â*------------------------------Â*----------------

"AV Guy" wrote in message
I'm pretty new to Excel ... I want to emulate my formatting in Word of a
title with several bulleted subpoints indented and under it. Every time I
hit
"Enter" for a new line, I get skipped to a new cell. Any help will be
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
noyb

Related question. In a large single cell used for text is it possible to
link to another singel cell. For example. "The sales for April were
<<put cell reference here which is an increase."
thanks

"AV Guy" wrote:

I'm pretty new to Excel ... I want to emulate my formatting in Word of a
title with several bulleted subpoints indented and under it. Every time I hit
"Enter" for a new line, I get skipped to a new cell. Any help will be
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Coderre

Yes....here's one way:

A1: = "The sales for April were "&TEXT(D1,"$#,###")&" which is an increase."

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro