Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
robert145

Default Simple Excel Formula Help

I have a simple inventory form with headings and a few simple formulas.
The problem is this. One formula is the following =COUNTIF(C6:C625,"*")
indicating Total Items for that column. The the problem is that if I
look at the end of the actual column, the number is different. Right
now the "formula" reads 578 Items, but if I look at the last item in
the column, it says 580. It always reads 2 more items than actually
exists.

--
robert145
robert145's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32477

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gary''''s Student

Remember that * is a wild-card. Your formula will count the number of cells
containing text between C6 and C625

If you want to count * then use ~*
--
Gary's Student

"robert145" wrote:

I have a simple inventory form with headings and a few simple formulas.
The problem is this. One formula is the following =COUNTIF(C6:C625,"*")
indicating Total Items for that column. The the problem is that if I
look at the end of the actual column, the number is different. Right
now the "formula" reads 578 Items, but if I look at the last item in
the column, it says 580. It always reads 2 more items than actually
exists.

--
robert145
robert145's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32477
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522657

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
robert145

I am aware of the wild, that is why I used it. My question was - why
would it (the formula) add 2 more entries than actually exists ?

--
robert145
robert145's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32477
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522657

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
RagDyeR

You say the *formula* reads 2 *more* items than actually exist,
BUT,
You also say that the formula reads 578 ... where the list contains 580 (2
*less*).

So ... which is it?

BTW, "*" will return text cells (alpha and numeric), and *also* nulls (zero
length strings) that you could have returned from formulas in those polled
cells (C6:C625), which, are of course, not visible.

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"robert145" wrote
in message ...

I have a simple inventory form with headings and a few simple formulas.
The problem is this. One formula is the following =COUNTIF(C6:C625,"*")
indicating Total Items for that column. The the problem is that if I
look at the end of the actual column, the number is different. Right
now the "formula" reads 578 Items, but if I look at the last item in
the column, it says 580. It always reads 2 more items than actually
exists.

--
robert145
robert145's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522657

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
RagDyeR

To *exclude* nulls, try this:

=COUNTIF(C6:C625,"*?")
--

HTH,

RD

"RagDyeR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
robert145

Sorry. The formula reads 578 but the actual list contains 580. The
formula reads =COUNTIF(C6:C625,"*") I have the cell range set well in
advance of the current count so if it were counting any blank cells, it
would be showing the total of 625. Knowing that it isnt counting blank
cells, its reporting 2 less than the actual count for some reason.

--
robert145
robert145's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32477
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=522657

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
RagDyeR

What's the chance that the uncounted data is *not* text?
--

HTH,

RD

"robert145" wrote in