Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Jerry Kinder

Default =combin function

Hi,
I want to know the combinations of four letter that are possible from a list
( abcdefghij ) .
The =combin function will tell me how many combinations are possible.
=combin(10,4)
I want a list of all the possible combinations of 4 letters for the list.
abcd
acbd
addc .... etc.
Is there away to have excel 2000 do this??

Thank you,
Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JMB

Using a macro (this will populate A1:A210 of the active sheet)

Sub test()
Dim i As Long, j As Long
Dim k As Long, l As Long
Dim Count As Long
Dim Data As Variant

Count = 0
Data = Array("a", "b", "c", _
"d", "e", "f", "g", "h", _
"i", "j")

For i = LBound(Data) To UBound(Data) - 3
For j = i + 1 To UBound(Data) - 2
For k = j + 1 To UBound(Data) - 1
For l = k + 1 To UBound(Data)
Cells(1 + Count, 1).Value = Data(i) & Data(j) _
& Data(k) & Data(l)
Count = Count + 1
Next l
Next k
Next j
Next i

End Sub

"Jerry Kinder" wrote:

Hi,
I want to know the combinations of four letter that are possible from a list
( abcdefghij ) .
The =combin function will tell me how many combinations are possible.
=combin(10,4)
I want a list of all the possible combinations of 4 letters for the list.
abcd
acbd
addc .... etc.
Is there away to have excel 2000 do this??

Thank you,
Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

You might also want to try this recent response to a similar query:
http://tinyurl.com/nbdhx
(Link to a sample file with Myrna Larson's power subroutine, ready to play)
--
Max
Singapore
"Jerry Kinder" wrote in message
I want to know the combinations of four letter that are possible from a

list
( abcdefghij ) .
The =combin function will tell me how many combinations are possible.
=combin(10,4)
I want a list of all the possible combinations of 4 letters for the list.
abcd
acbd
addc .... etc.
Is there away to have excel 2000 do this??

Thank you,
Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

Reply from OP:
---------
From: jerrykinder ..
To: "Max"
Subject: =combin function
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:50:56 -0600

Thanks, it worked perfect.
Jerry
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Creating a Custom Excel Function to Calculate Gini Coefficients [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 21st 06 10:15 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Hyperlinks using R[1]C[1] and offset function in its cell referenc Elijah-Dadda Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 5th 05 03:31 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM