Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Grd

Default How to do a peculiar sort?

Hi,

I'm trying to sort a Ratings column which has entries of Low, Medium and
High. However an alpahbetic sort doesn't work out as I would like them in a
certain order. Is this possible? Its driving me crazey cos I get High, Low,
Medium.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Georgina
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Niek Otten

Hi Georgina,

ToolsOptionsCustom lists

Read HELP for details

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Grd" wrote in message

I'm trying to sort a Ratings column which has entries of Low, Medium and
High. However an alpahbetic sort doesn't work out as I would like them in
certain order. Is this possible? Its driving me crazey cos I get High,
Low,
Medium.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Georgina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bill Ridgeway

Insert a helper column. In the helper column type in and copy the formula -

=IF(A1="high",1,IF(A1="low",5,IF(A1="medium",9,)))

The actual value is significant ONLY that it is in the order you want to
sort AND that there is a gap so that you can alter the running order without
too much amendment.

Use this column to sort your data.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Grd" wrote in message

I'm trying to sort a Ratings column which has entries of Low, Medium and
High. However an alpahbetic sort doesn't work out as I would like them in
certain order. Is this possible? Its driving me crazey cos I get High,
Low,
Medium.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Georgina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave Peterson

I'd just use another column and put 1, 2, 3 in there and sort by that.

=if(a2="high",1,if(a2="Medium",2,3)))

(to get my 1,2,3's.)

=====

But you could define a custom list.
tools|options|Custom list tab
type High,Medium,Low

Then when you sort, use:
data|sort|options Button and select your custom list.

Grd wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to sort a Ratings column which has entries of Low, Medium and
High. However an alpahbetic sort doesn't work out as I would like them in a
certain order. Is this possible? Its driving me crazey cos I get High, Low,
Medium.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Georgina

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR

Use a helper column to assign 1 to Low, 2 to medium, and 3 to high.......then
sort on that column

=IF(A1="LOW",1,IF(A1="MEDIUM",2,IF(A1="HIGH",3,"") )) and copy down, replace
A1 with your appropriate cell address.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Grd" wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to sort a Ratings column which has entries of Low, Medium and
High. However an alpahbetic sort doesn't work out as I would like them in a
certain order. Is this possible? Its driving me crazey cos I get High, Low,
Medium.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Georgina

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
George

Niek Otten wrote:
Hi Georgina,

ToolsOptionsCustom lists

Read HELP for details

Just wanted to add that once you make a custom list
Under SORT you need to go to options and select it as the sort order

Dont forget to reset it back to normal

George