Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ashley

Default HOW DO I GET TEXT TO COME UP BESIDE FORMULA

I have a list of names and an array of numbers to their names. I have sumed
the arrays of each name and placed them in accending order using LARGE()
function. I need the names to come up in the box beside the accending LARGE
function. So I can see who came 1st, 2nd, 3rd....etc
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR

Please specify the ranges of cells that contain your NAMES, and which contain
your NUMBERS.............

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Ashley" wrote:

I have a list of names and an array of numbers to their names. I have sumed
the arrays of each name and placed them in accending order using LARGE()
function. I need the names to come up in the box beside the accending LARGE
function. So I can see who came 1st, 2nd, 3rd....etc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ashley

A2:A150 are NAMES, B2;E150 contain values, F2:F150 are the sum of the vaues
for each name. On another worksheet I used a LARGE function to sort the sum
into decending order, but I can't get the names to enter in the next cell?

"Ashley" wrote:

I have a list of names and an array of numbers to their names. I have sumed
the arrays of each name and placed them in accending order using LARGE()
function. I need the names to come up in the box beside the accending LARGE
function. So I can see who came 1st, 2nd, 3rd....etc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
RagDyer

I would assume there is a possibility of ties.

Say you list is on Sheet1, A2 to F150.

Say your sorting formula is:

=LARGE(Sheet1!$F$2:$F$150,ROWS($1:1))

And is on Sheet2, in A1 to A149.

Try this *array* formula on Sheet2, in B1,

=INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$150,LARGE(IF(Sheet1!$F$2:$F$ 150=A1,ROW($1:$149)),COUNT
IF(A1:$A$149,A1)))

--
Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of the
regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

Then copy down to B149.
--
HTH,

RD

"Ashley" wrote:

I have a list of names and an array of numbers to their names. I have

sumed
the arrays of each name and placed them in accending order using

LARGE()
function. I need the names to come up in the box beside the accending

LARGE
function. So I can see who came 1st, 2nd, 3rd....etc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ashley

There would be ties, the LARGE function is the same. But the Index function
is resulting in #VALUE. Not working yet, I'm proberly missing something
simple

"Ashley" wrote:

I have a list of names and an array of numbers to their names. I have

sumed
the arrays of each name and placed them in accending order using

LARGE()
function. I need the names to come up in the box beside the accending

LARGE
function. So I can see who came 1st, 2nd, 3rd....etc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
RagDyeR

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that you *didn't* enter the array formula using
CSE !

Once AGAIN:
--
Array formulas are entered using CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of the
regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly
brackets, which *cannot* be done manually.

Which means ...
Click in B1 where you're getting a #VALUE! error.
Click in the formula bar to enter the edit mode.
Hold down <Ctrl and <Shift, and then hit <Enter.
You should now have an accurate return.

NOW, copy this *array entered formula* down to B149.

--

HTH,

RD