Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
dykstra_sj

Default How do I count the frequency of a given number in a column?

In a column I have a list of numbers (1-5) and I want to know how many 1s,
2s, 3s, etc. What is the formula?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Coderre

Try something like this:
For numbers in A1:A10

B1: =COUNTIF(A1:A10,1)
(Returns the count of 1's)

or
C1: (a number between 1 and 5)
B1: =COUNTIF(A1:A10,C1)
(Returns to the count of items that match the value in C1)

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"dykstra_sj" wrote:

In a column I have a list of numbers (1-5) and I want to know how many 1s,
2s, 3s, etc. What is the formula?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Anne Troy

=COUNTIF(C4:C7,"=1")
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"dykstra_sj" wrote in message
In a column I have a list of numbers (1-5) and I want to know how many 1s,
2s, 3s, etc. What is the formula?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben

One more methos.

Assuming your digits are in A1:A100

In B1:B5 enter digits 1 through 5.

Select C1:C5

In activecell C1 enter =FREQUENCY(A1:A100,B1:B5) and hit CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER

Excel will place curly brackets around the formula because it is an ARRAY
formula.

The frequency of each number in B1:B1 will be returned to C1:C5

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:29:32 -0800, "dykstra_sj"
wrote:

In a column I have a list of numbers (1-5) and I want to know how many 1s,
2s, 3s, etc. What is the formula?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Anne Troy

Thanks, Ron. I seem constantly to be learning here...
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"dykstra_sj" wrote:

In a column I have a list of numbers (1-5) and I want to know how many
1s,
2s, 3s, etc. What is the formula?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR

Check out Tools DataAnalysis Histogram.......

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"dykstra_sj" wrote:

In a column I have a list of numbers (1-5) and I want to know how many 1s,
2s, 3s, etc. What is the formula?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Coderre

I seem constantly to be learning here...<<

I think every one of us feels the same way.
I know I do.
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro