Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
phm

Default Weighted Average

I am new to the weighing of numbers using excel. I really need help.
I am able to do this manually, but I it takes too long. Yes I still
use the calculator instead of excel. I am new at this.
Please help. I need to figure out the Quaterly total of the Average
second.
Manualy, I divide the total of the month and divide it by quaterly
total then this number is the multiple by the months average second.
And I repeat for all months. I then add and this is where my 0:18 comes
from.
Please help if this makes sense.

Total Average
seconds
October 7,727 0:26
November 6,292 0:12
December 5,468 0:14
Quarterly Total 19,487 0:18

--
phm
phm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31105

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
phm

I am new to the weighing of numbers using excel. I really need help.
I am able to do this manually, but I it takes too long. Yes I still
use the calculator instead of excel. I am new at this.
Please help. I need to figure out the Quaterly total of the Average
second.
Manualy, I divide the total of the month and divide it by quaterly
total then this number is the multiple by the months average second.
And I repeat for all months. I then add and this is where my 0:18 comes
from.
Please help if this makes sense.

first column is the month
second is the total of calls
third is the average of minutes per call

October 7,727 - 0:26

November 6,292 - 0:12

December 5,468 - 0:14

Quarterly Total 19,487 - 0:18

--
phm
phm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31105
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=507722

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier

Hi

There is some information you are not giving here - the total time
duration for each month.
Calculating this from the information provided, you must have something
like

Month Total Calls Total Time Average Time
October 7,727 2009.02 0.26
November 6,292 755.04 0.12
December 5,468 765.62 0.14

To get the overall average for the quarter take the total time and
divide by the total calls

=Sum(C2:C4) /SUM(B2:B4) or 3259.58/19487 = 0.1811

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"phm" wrote in message

[...]

View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"phm" wrote:
first column is the month[,] second is the total of calls
third is the average of minutes per call
October 7,727 - 0:26
November 6,292 - 0:12
December 5,468 - 0:14
Quarterly Total 19,487 - 0:18

I assume the last column is entered in the form mm:ss.
I have trouble making Excel do the right thing with that
format; probably my mistake. But the following should
help you with the concept, if not the solution.

If you are content to enter the third column in seconds,
assuming the table above is in A1:C3, the average is:

=sumproduct(B1:B3,C1:C3) / sum(B1:B3)