Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
kandyr

Default Excel Column Sum

I get a different answer to a column of numbers (only 6) when I manually add
them together as compared to doing a formula (=C6+C7+C8).
Why?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Anne Troy

Likely, you should check the values in the formula bar. You're probably
adding up 22 + 23 instead of 22.4 + 23.4 or something like that. Excel, when
summing, sums the actual values of the cells, NOT the value you SEE (which
is a result of Cell formatting.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"kandyr" wrote in message
I get a different answer to a column of numbers (only 6) when I manually
add
them together as compared to doing a formula (=C6+C7+C8).
Why?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Alan

Its usually because of Excel showing only two decimal places instead of the
complete value in a cell. The result of a formula may be for example
453.558944512 but the cell will display 453.56. In calculations though the
full number will be used giving unexpected differences. You can get round
this (no pun intended) by using the ROUND function, try
=ROUND((your_formula),2) eg =ROUND((VLOOKUP,A1,B1:B500,2,FALSE),2)
This will eliminate decimal places over two the calculations shoul then be
correct,
Regards,
Alan.