Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Mark G

Default How do I count based on two conditions?

Hi there. I have a long lists of data to sort though and I am trying to write
a formula that counts that number of entries for a company with a certain
condition entered in another column. For instance

Company name Condition
Big Corp operatonal
Small corp operational
Big Corp non-operational

How do I count where Big Corp is operational and where it is non-operational?

Thanks,
Mark
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

Another option is to use SUMPRODUCT ..

Assuming source table is within A1:B100,
data from row2 down

Placed
In D2 down: Big Corp, Small Corp, etc (i.e. company names)
In E1: operational
In F1: non-operational

(Ensure the names / words match exactly with those within the source table.
Check spelling and spaces, etc.)

Then we could put in E2:
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$100=$D2)*($B$2:$B$100=E$1))
Copy E2 to F2, and fill down to populate the table

Note that we can't use entire col references (eg: A:A, B:B, etc) in
SUMPRODUCT
--
Max
Singapore