Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bonnie

Default Link Question

Hello everyone! Using E02 on XP. Usually in the Access area and don't use
Excel much but...always learn SO much in these Newsgroups.

I have 2 folders in a shared drive that contain 2 versions of a file that
need to be compared. (We send the ToClient file to our clients and they make
changes to participant data for year end valuation work. They return it to
us and we put it in the FromClient folder.) I've created a master file that
will compare the two, cell by cell and, for now, just return "Ok" or
"Edited". (Later I want to show the ToClient cell value if no edits and the
FromClient cell value if there were edits. It's just a shorter formula for
now, easier to work with.) My formula for Cell A1 is:

=IF('S:\rps\PTS\CensusConversion\ToClient\[GP0013.xls]Data'!A1='S:\rps\PTS\CensusConversion\FromClient\[GP0013.xls]Data'!A1,"Ok","Edited")

Is there a way to use a parameter (like Access) that will ask "What GP
number?" and if the user keys in "GP0013" or "GP1922", those are the 2 files
it will compare? I mean, I know there is a way, but I'm not a programmer, so
need something not too complicated. Or would it be better to use an update
link thing? Feel free to mention something that would be better for my needs.

Would appreciate any help or advice. Thanks in advance for your time!
--
Bonnie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave Peterson