Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
mike samuels

Default doing my accpounts on excel

when I try to enter a number in acolumn, the date comes up! how do I just go
about numbering each row 1,2,3,4 etc. for future reference?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier

Hi Mike

Sounds like the column has been formatted as Date.
Select the ColumnFormatCellsNumberGeneral

If you would like the rows to be numbered automatically, if there is
something in column B of the row for example, then in A2 (assuming you
have headers in row 1, enter
=IF(B2="","",ROW())
and copy down

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"mike samuels" <mike wrote in message
when I try to enter a number in acolumn, the date comes up! how do I
just go
about numbering each row 1,2,3,4 etc. for future reference?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Anne Troy

Format the cell as a number. Format--Cells, choose Number and zero
decimals.
Excel doesn't have an "autonumber" feature. But you could do the following:
http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/fo...autonumber.php
Sorry about the popup.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"mike samuels" <mike wrote in message
when I try to enter a number in acolumn, the date comes up! how do I just
go
about numbering each row 1,2,3,4 etc. for future reference?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Coderre

Try something like this:

Like Roger says, start by formatting your cells as numbers.

If your first auto-number cell is A1, enter a 1 in that cell.
Put this formula in the next cell down:
A2: =MAX($A$1:OFFSET(A2,-1,1))+1
(Even though it refers to itself, the OFFSET function will not trigger a
circular ref)
Copyt that formula down as far as you need.

Note: If you insert rows, the autonumbering will still work, but it will not
put a number in the blank cell that was added. If you need that cell to be
included in the series, just copy any of the formulas into the blank cell.
That cell and the ones below it will resequence.

If your first autonumber cell is not in row 1 then just put the formula in
the first autonumber cell.
Example:
A3: =MAX($A$1:OFFSET(A3,-1,1))+1
Since no numbers are above A3 the formula will return 1.

Adjust references to suit your situation.

Is that something you can work with?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"mike samuels" wrote:

when I try to enter a number in acolumn, the date comes up! how do I just go
about numbering each row 1,2,3,4 etc. for future reference?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Coderre

Drat! My fingers typed what I told them, instead of what I wanted!

Corrections:

A2: =MAX($A$1:OFFSET(A2,-1,1))+1
Should be
A2: =MAX($A$1:OFFSET(A2,-1,0))+1

and
A3: =MAX($A$1:OFFSET(A3,-1,1))+1
should be
A3: =MAX($A$1:OFFSET(A3,-1,0))+1

(Sorry about the typos)

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"mike samuels" wrote:

when I try to enter a number in acolumn, the date comes up! how do I just go
about numbering each row 1,2,3,4 etc. for future reference?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
David McRitchie

Hi Mike,
The solution you choose from those suppliedwould be dependent on if you want permanent
numbers that do not change if you insert delete rows, or if you want the
numbers to change if you insert/delete rows.