-   -   How do i make a formula using cells (divide B3/B5) (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/67439-how-do-i-make-formula-using-cells-divide-b3-b5.html)

ace8707

How do i make a formula using cells (divide B3/B5)

I am trying to get excel to divide cell B3 by B5. I have been entering in
=B3/B5 and it keeps giving me #VALUE!. I also need to drag the formula down.
I thought this was how to do it but apparently im wrong. A little help
would be much appreciated.

daddylonglegs

How do i make a formula using cells (divide B3/B5)

Perhaps you have text in B3 or B5 (even if they look numeric)?

If you drag the formula down you'll get

=B4/B6 in the cell below, if you want to keep one of the values the
same use something like

=B$3/B5

when you drag this down it becomes

=B$3/B6 in the cell below

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Gilles Desjardins

How do i make a formula using cells (divide B3/B5)

I hope that you are writing this formula in another cell. i.e. in C5. It
works for me. Are B3 and B5 text values? Maybe?

Gilles