Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Craig

Default Help with File Menu

I just installed Office2003 in conjunction with WinXP Pro SP2.
When Excel file (xls) is opened, "File" menu is missing.
Please advise me how to recover File menu.
Craig

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave Peterson

View|Toolbars|Customize|toolbars tab
select worksheet menu bar and click Reset

(It'll reset that whole toolbar, though.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Craig

Thanks Dave.

I tried twice but it did not work.
The suggestion you gave me has to do with "Toolbars" not Menu.
My Excel Sheet starts from Edit, View, Insert, and so on.
The first menu should be "File".
Thank you.

Craig

Craig wrote:

I just installed Office2003 in conjunction with WinXP Pro SP2.
When Excel file (xls) is opened, "File" menu is missing.
Please advise me how to recover File menu.
Craig

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron de Bruin

Try this then

Maybe you have a corrupt or bloated xlb file *normal* size is < 30 kb.
The .xlb file has all Toolbar customization in it.

1. Close Excel
2. Do a search for .xlb in Windows (Use: search hidden files and folders)
3. Rename or delete the .xlb file or files (In 2002 the name = Excel10.xlb)
4. Start Excel

Deleting the file or renaming will do no harm on your system
Excel will create a new one for you.
(You lost your customization remember that)

If you make your own toolbars or add buttons to the others
this file is important (backup it so you can restore it)

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

Craig wrote:

I just installed Office2003 in conjunction with WinXP Pro SP2.
When Excel file (xls) is opened, "File" menu is missing.
Please advise me how to recover File menu.
Craig

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dave Peterson

I hope Ron's suggestion fixed it for you, but File is one of those dropdown
menus on the worksheet menu bar.

File|Edit|View|Insert|Tools|....

Is that worksheet menu bar.