Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
DJL

Default #VALUE! Error

in cell E8 I have this formula: =IF(ISBLANK(D8),"",D8*$B$2)
I get the #VALUE! error.
Can someone tell me why and how I can correct it.
I am just trying to say that if D8 is empty don't show anything, if
populated multiply D8 by B2.

Thank you for your help

--
Diana

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
DJL

Oh, I forgot to say that D8 does have a formula in it. So that must be why I
get the error--the cell is not blank. Is there anything I can do so it does
not show on spreadsheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR

There is probably some text character, like a space in the cell D8

=IF(OR(ISTEXT(D8),ISBLANK(D8)),"",D8*$B$2)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"DJL" wrote:

in cell E8 I have this formula: =IF(ISBLANK(D8),"",D8*$B$2)
I get the #VALUE! error.
Can someone tell me why and how I can correct it.
I am just trying to say that if D8 is empty don't show anything, if
populated multiply D8 by B2.

Thank you for your help

--
Diana

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
DJL

Thank you so much for the quick reply. That worked beautifully!
Now can you tell me in plain english exactly what the formula says?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
RagDyeR

Try this:

=IF(D8="","",D8*$B$2)

--

HTH,

RD

"DJL" wrote in message
Oh, I forgot to say that D8 does have a formula in it. So that must be why I
get the error--the cell is not blank. Is there anything I can do so it does
not show on spreadsheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR

=IF(OR(ISTEXT(D8),ISBLANK(D8)),"",D8*$B$2) when placed in E8, says...

If EITHER D8 is text, OR D8 is blank, THEN leave E8 blank, OTHERWISE, return
the result of D8 times B2

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"DJL" wrote:

Thank you so much for the quick reply. That worked beautifully!
Now can you tell me in plain english exactly what the formula says?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Peo Sjoblom

The OP could also use

=PRODUCT(D8,$B$2)

this will return zero if any text value is involved and won't choke on it

Peo Sjoblom

"DJL" wrote:

Thank you so much for the quick reply. That worked beautifully!
Now can you tell me in plain english exactly what the formula says?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ragdyer

<<<"this will return zero if any text value is involved"

Not really!
*Any* number in the range of Product() will be returned, not 0.

Can lead to some *possible* miscalculations.

RD