Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
capnhud

Default Using the Text Formula

I have a range of cells that I want to apply the =LOWER function to but each
time that I go to make the text lowercase the text disappears from the cell.
I was wondering if someone could tell me what I was possibly doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Paul B

capnhud, with the text you want to change in column A, in B1 put =LOWER(A1)
and copy down

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"capnhud" wrote in message
I have a range of cells that I want to apply the =LOWER function to but

each
time that I go to make the text lowercase the text disappears from the

cell.
I was wondering if someone could tell me what I was possibly doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

Enter the formula in adjacent empty cell.
You're probably trying to do it in the same cell as the source text.

For example, assuming the source range is in A1 down
Enter in B1: =LOWER(A1)
Copy B1 down
Col B will return the required results

If needed, we could copy col B
and do a paste special check "values" ok
to overwrite col A. And then delete col B
--
Rgds
Max
"capnhud" wrote in message
I have a range of cells that I want to apply the =LOWER function to but

each
time that I go to make the text lowercase the text disappears from the

cell.
I was wondering if someone could tell me what I was possibly doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
capnhud

And if i wish to put other information in column B will that information be
affected by the formula

"capnhud" wrote in message
I have a range of cells that I want to apply the =LOWER function to but

each
time that I go to make the text lowercase the text disappears from the

cell.
I was wondering if someone could tell me what I was possibly doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

"capnhud" wrote:
And if i wish to put other information in column B
will that information be affected by the formula

Of course! <g
A cell can only contain a value or a formula at any one time.

If needed, we could copy the formula returns in col B
and do a paste special check "values" ok
to overwrite col A. And then just delete / clear col B
--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Paul B

capnhud, as max said yes it will be affected, but you can put the formula in
any column if you need other stuff in column B, or you could use something
like this, =LOWER(A1) & " Other Stuff" to show what's in A1 in lower case
and Other Stuff with it, if you need any more help on this post back with
more details on what your data looks like and what you want to do.

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"capnhud" wrote in message
I have a range of cells that I want to apply the =LOWER function to

but
each
time that I go to make the text lowercase the text disappears from the

cell.
I was wondering if someone could tell me what I was possibly doing

wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR

ASAP Utilities, a free Excel Add-in, has a feature which will allow you to
change the case of text within the cell where the text is located. It's
available at www.asap-utilities.com

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3