Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
elevdown

Default Capitalize Text if 2 lists are equal

I want to compare 2 lists on separate worksheets - (A2:A9) on both
sheets. The lists contain text. If the lists are equal I want the text
in cell A1 on the second worksheet to be "PROPER"case. If the lists are
not equal I want the text to be "UPPER" case. Can I use a standard
formula or an array formula to do this? Thanks for any help!

--
elevdown
elevdown's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29668

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips

In another cell

Sheet2!C2: =IF(A2=Sheet1!A2,PROPER(A2),UPPER(A2)

and copy down

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"elevdown" wrote in
message ...

I want to compare 2 lists on separate worksheets - (A2:A9) on both
sheets. The lists contain text. If the lists are equal I want the text
in cell A1 on the second worksheet to be "PROPER"case. If the lists are
not equal I want the text to be "UPPER" case. Can I use a standard
formula or an array formula to do this? Thanks for any help!

--
elevdown
elevdown's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=493762

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
elevdown

Bob Phillips Wrote:
In another cell

Sheet2!C2: =IF(A2=Sheet1!A2,PROPER(A2),UPPER(A2)

and copy down

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"elevdown"
wrote in
message ...

I want to compare 2 lists on separate worksheets - (A2:A9) on both
sheets. The lists contain text. If the lists are equal I want the

text
in cell A1 on the second worksheet to be "PROPER"case. If the lists

are
not equal I want the text to be "UPPER" case. Can I use a standard
formula or an array formula to do this? Thanks for any help!

--
elevdown

elevdown's Profile:

View this thread:

Thanks, but won't this capitalize text in the list, if it is not equal?
What I want to do is to capitalize the text only in cell A1 if the lists
are not equal.

--
elevdown
elevdown's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29668
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=493762

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips

Every row matches?

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A9=Sheet2!A2:A9))=8,PROPER(A1),UPPER(A1))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"elevdown" wrote in
message ...

Bob Phillips Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
elevdown

Bob Phillips Wrote:
[...]

(Yes, I want all 8 cells in each list to match exactly)
OK, I tried this. Below is the two formulas that I tried. The first
formula compares the lists on two separate worksheets: It doesn't work
- it always displays in UPPER case whether the lists are the same or
not. The second formula I brought the two lists to the same worksheet
for comparison (columns A & B) and the formula works fine!
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!A2:A9=Sheet2!A2:A9))=8,UPPER(A1),PROPER(A1 ))
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A9=B2:B9))=8,UPPER(A1),PROPER(A1))
Can you expain why the comparison of two separate worksheets did not
work? Can you also explain what the "--" does in the formulas above?
I am thinking I need to copy the lists to the same worksheet (don't
want to if I don't have to!)
Thanks so much for your help!

--
elevdown
elevdown's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29668
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=493762

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips

I cannot explain the problem as I don't get it. I can get PROPER or UPPER
accordingly when the data is on separate sheets.

As for the --, see http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html

--
HTH

Bob Phillips