Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
DTTODGG

Default Date Conversion - sorry

OK, guys, I've read a plethora of posts about DATE, but can't find one that
suits my situation. It's probably out there somewhere,... please help.

I have a cell D2 it's formated as a date 03/01/04 field
I have another numeric field in K5 (just numbers e.g. 3428)

I want cell J2 to be 20040301-3428.

So, do I need to convert D2 to a data yyyymmdd? then convert to text? then
add the hyphen? then add the number?

It's probably simple, but I've spent too much time on this. I keep getting
the serial date or whatever that 38,889 number is.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Niek Otten

=TEXT(D2,"yyyymmdd")&"-"&TEXT(K5,"#")

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"DTTODGG" wrote in message
OK, guys, I've read a plethora of posts about DATE, but can't find one
that
suits my situation. It's probably out there somewhere,... please help.

I have a cell D2 it's formated as a date 03/01/04 field
I have another numeric field in K5 (just numbers e.g. 3428)

I want cell J2 to be 20040301-3428.

So, do I need to convert D2 to a data yyyymmdd? then convert to text? then
add the hyphen? then add the number?

It's probably simple, but I've spent too much time on this. I keep getting
the serial date or whatever that 38,889 number is.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
bpeltzer

=TEXT(D2,"yyyymmdd")&"-"&K5. If you need to force the suffix to a certain
number of digits, you could use &text(k5,"0000") instead of just &K5.

"DTTODGG" wrote:

OK, guys, I've read a plethora of posts about DATE, but can't find one that
suits my situation. It's probably out there somewhere,... please help.

I have a cell D2 it's formated as a date 03/01/04 field
I have another numeric field in K5 (just numbers e.g. 3428)

I want cell J2 to be 20040301-3428.

So, do I need to convert D2 to a data yyyymmdd? then convert to text? then
add the hyphen? then add the number?

It's probably simple, but I've spent too much time on this. I keep getting
the serial date or whatever that 38,889 number is.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Coderre

I have no idea what you're doing....but, I think this will do it:

=TEXT(D2,"yyyymmdd")&"-"&K5

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"DTTODGG" wrote:

OK, guys, I've read a plethora of posts about DATE, but can't find one that
suits my situation. It's probably out there somewhere,... please help.

I have a cell D2 it's formated as a date 03/01/04 field
I have another numeric field in K5 (just numbers e.g. 3428)

I want cell J2 to be 20040301-3428.

So, do I need to convert D2 to a data yyyymmdd? then convert to text? then
add the hyphen? then add the number?

It's probably simple, but I've spent too much time on this. I keep getting
the serial date or whatever that 38,889 number is.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Niek Otten

Or, if you always want to copy K2, no matter if it has decimals,

=TEXT(D2,"yyyymmdd")&"-"&K5

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten