Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
kailuamike

Default How to start a spreadsheet (inventory)

I am having trouble just getting started here. I need to make a parts
inventory spreadsheet, listing quantity on hand, part number,
description, sell price, and cost price, with the last column being
total cost for quantity on hand for each line item. I have several
books here, a help CD, friends eager to help, but all of the books,
CD's, friends, etc. assume that I know how to walk, and they are all
trying to teach me how to fly. I have learned many magical and
wondrous ways to manipulate data in spreadsheets, but I haven't been
able to find a simple explanation of how to start one in the first
place. Color me retarded. Any help?

--
kailuamike
kailuamike's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29558

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Paul B

kailuamike,
See if this will get you started. With quantity in A1, part # in B1,
description in C1, sell price in D1, cost in E1, total cost in F1, put your
data in rows 2:?? In F2 put =A2*E2 and copy down. post back if you need
anything else or if this is not what you want.

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"kailuamike" wrote
in message ...

I am having trouble just getting started here. I need to make a parts
inventory spreadsheet, listing quantity on hand, part number,
description, sell price, and cost price, with the last column being
total cost for quantity on hand for each line item. I have several
books here, a help CD, friends eager to help, but all of the books,
CD's, friends, etc. assume that I know how to walk, and they are all
trying to teach me how to fly. I have learned many magical and
wondrous ways to manipulate data in spreadsheets, but I haven't been
able to find a simple explanation of how to start one in the first
place. Color me retarded. Any help?

--
kailuamike
kailuamike's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=492603

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
kailuamike

Paul B !!!! You are da man! Thanks a whole bunch for getting me
started here. I cannot describe to you the frustration I have had in
trying to find just a simple list of formulas to use in Excel. There
doesn't seem to be any such list anywhere, not even on Microsoft's
Office site. Their tutorial covers 2003 only, meaning that they want
me to upgrade from 2002, at a nominal fee, of course. Anyway, thanks
again. You have definitely made my day! :)

--
kailuamike
kailuamike's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29558
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=492603

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Paul B

Kailuamike, thanks, happy to help, I would think that "most" of the
information in that tutorial should apply to 2002 also.

You may also want to take a look at the Excel Function Dictionary -- by
Peter Noneley, this is a workbook with an explanation and example of Excel
functions.

Peter's site was hijacked by a porn site and I do not have his new address
but Ron de Bruin has a copy of the file for download at his web site,
http://www.rondebruin.nl/id.htm , at the bottom of the page
Or a direct link http://www.rondebruin.nl/files/xlfdic01.zip
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"kailuamike" wrote
in message ...

Paul B !!!! You are da man! Thanks a whole bunch for getting me
started here. I cannot describe to you the frustration I have had in
trying to find just a simple list of formulas to use in Excel. There
doesn't seem to be any such list anywhere, not even on Microsoft's
Office site. Their tutorial covers 2003 only, meaning that they want
me to upgrade from 2002, at a nominal fee, of course. Anyway, thanks
again. You have definitely made my day! :)

--
kailuamike
kailuamike's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=492603

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Paul B

I understand about being paranoid about the alarms, I just downloaded the
file again and ran it with no bad side effects and it is a very good
worksheet to show what different formulas are used for, the macros are
mostly for moving around to the sheets, here is another link you might want
to look at

Have a look at the links posted on this site, under the heading of,

Excel Lessons & Tutorials (#tutorials)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"kailuamike" wrote
in message ...

I really appreciate all the help you've given me on this. I did go to
that direct link and dl'd the file, but my security settings don't like
the macros in it, and I'm more than a bit paranoid about opening stuff
that sets off my alarms. As for the Excel tutorial at Microsoft, I am
absolutely certain that it would help me a whole bunch, but here's the
catch: After the basic introduction, the site wants you to download a
practice page .... which is 2003 ..... and if you are running 2002, you
get a prompt to upgrade to 2003, and you can go no farther with the
tutorial unless you cough up the bucks for 2003. Sneaky, yeah? When
you try to backtrack to 2002 tutorials, it always comes up in the 2003
tutorial, running into the same roadblock again. Marketing is a
fascinating form of skullduggery.

--
kailuamike
kailuamike's Profile: