Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Default Caculating Columns Between Certain Dates

I have a spread sheet with for simplicity 4 columns
Column 1 is a Date Column,
Column 2 is a Company Name,
Column 3 is a Payment amount X
Column 4 is a Payment amount Y

The amount due is the sum of X+Y between the relevant dates.

The entries are in date order and the Company names random.
The number of entries per company varies also.
I want to be able to calculate the amount due for each company over a thee
month period between certain varied dates.

Questions
1. Is there a way to enter the dates to calculate between.
2. What is the best way to perform the calculations for each company?

An example or link to an example would be appreciated.
Regards
Dermot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200=--"2005-01-01"),--(A2:A200<=--"2005-03-31"),--(B2:b2
00="company_name"),(C2:C200+D2:D200))

--

HTH

RP

"Dermot" wrote in message
I have a spread sheet with for simplicity 4 columns
Column 1 is a Date Column,
Column 2 is a Company Name,
Column 3 is a Payment amount X
Column 4 is a Payment amount Y

The amount due is the sum of X+Y between the relevant dates.

The entries are in date order and the Company names random.
The number of entries per company varies also.
I want to be able to calculate the amount due for each company over a thee
month period between certain varied dates.

Questions
1. Is there a way to enter the dates to calculate between.
2. What is the best way to perform the calculations for each company?

An example or link to an example would be appreciated.
Regards
Dermot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Thanks for the reply Bob,
I have looked up the SUMPRODUCT Function in my excel inside out book to
better.
I have yet to try the formula but wonder if you could clarify a few
questions for me?

1. Can you write a verbal interpretation of the formula you have supplied me
so I can better understand the reasoning behind it?

2. Using your supplied formula. Can it be place in any cell or does it have
to be a specific cell to ensure the correct cell references?

3. The Dates you have entered. How are these entered? Can they be changed
for different periods throughout the year? Does the individual using the
spreadsheet need to modify the formula or just enter a start date and end
date, and then the calculation would be automatic? The intended users are not
too familiar with excel, and I am not sure what I can and cannot do with
excel regarding this problem.
I do need to find a solution Bob and appreciate your contribution. You
supplied me with a brief formla for another problem, which resolved my
problem, but it took me a while before I undestood what I was doing.

Please advise further
Regards
Dermot

"Dermot" wrote in message
I have a spread sheet with for simplicity 4 columns
Column 1 is a Date Column,
Column 2 is a Company Name,
Column 3 is a Payment amount X
Column 4 is a Payment amount Y

The amount due is the sum of X+Y between the relevant dates.

The entries are in date order and the Company names random.
The number of entries per company varies also.
I want to be able to calculate the amount due for each company over a thee
month period between certain varied dates.

Questions
1. Is there a way to enter the dates to calculate between.
2. What is the best way to perform the calculations for each company?

An example or link to an example would be appreciated.
Regards
Dermot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Hi Bob,
I tried entering the example formula but I get an error message.
I was prompted to use the formula construction below

SUMPRODUCT(Array 1,[Array2],[Array3],...)
so I entered
=SUMPRODUCT(A2:A200= --"2005-01-01",[A2:A200,<=
"2005-03-31"],[B2:B200="company_name"],[C2:C200+D2:D200])

I wasn't too sure about the dashes you have included --"2005-01-01"
Can you tell me what they do?

Thought I would post this to let you know where I am at with my problem.
Regards
Dermot
Any other advise regarding my previous posting will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Regards
Dermot

"Dermot" wrote in message
I have a spread sheet with for simplicity 4 columns
Column 1 is a Date Column,
Column 2 is a Company Name,
Column 3 is a Payment amount X
Column 4 is a Payment amount Y

The amount due is the sum of X+Y between the relevant dates.

The entries are in date order and the Company names random.
The number of entries per company varies also.
I want to be able to calculate the amount due for each company over a thee
month period between certain varied dates.

Questions
1. Is there a way to enter the dates to calculate between.
2. What is the best way to perform the calculations for each company?

An example or link to an example would be appreciated.
Regards
Dermot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips

See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html

2. Using your supplied formula. Can it be place in any cell or does it

have
to be a specific cell to ensure the correct cell references?

No, as long as your refer back to the correct cells, it can be placed
anywhere.

3. The Dates you have entered. How are these entered? Can they be changed
for different periods throughout the year? Does the individual using the
spreadsheet need to modify the formula or just enter a start date and end
date, and then the calculation would be automatic? The intended users are

not
too familiar with excel, and I am not sure what I can and cannot do with
excel regarding this problem.

What I gave you was two example dates to test between. It can be changed to
any two dates that you want. I used ISO standard date formats, yyyy-mm-dd,
either change the date such as --"2005-01-01" by something other date, or
put the date in a cell and refer to that. If you know the periods, that is
if they are fixed, you could code all of them directly into the spreadsheet,
saving the users any need to change it.

I do need to find a solution Bob and appreciate your contribution. You
supplied me with a brief formla for another problem, which resolved my
problem, but it took me a while before I undestood what I was doing.

I have just Googled that. I replied to something on 8th Nov, and I see that
you responded 10 days later. I didn't see that in the NGs. Do you still need
help on that one?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips

"Dermot" wrote in message
Hi Bob,
I tried entering the example formula but I get an error message.
I was prompted to use the formula construction below

SUMPRODUCT(Array 1,[Array2],[Array3],...)
so I entered
=SUMPRODUCT(A2:A200= --"2005-01-01",[A2:A200,<=
"2005-03-31"],[B2:B200="company_name"],[C2:C200+D2:D200])

The format you are seeing is the standard SUMPRODUCT formula, what I gave
you is a variation you will not see documented in the help files. The page I
gave in the last post gives a good explanation.

It is important that you neter the formula as supplied, if you muck about
with it, don't be surprised if it doesn't work. The only thing you should
change are the real cell ranges, and the test values, company name & dates.
The formula should be

=SUMPRODUCT(A2:A200= --"2005-01-01",(A2:A200,<=--"2005-03-31"),(B2:B200="co
mpany_name"),(C2:C200+D2:D200))

When you see [...] in help, it doesn't mean that you use the square
brackets, it means that those parameters are optional.

I wasn't too sure about the dashes you have included --"2005-01-01"
Can you tell me what they do?

I use the -- to coerce the text date string into an Excel date that the
formula can work with. Some people use DATE(2005,01,01), that is just my
preference, as it is slicker and uses an ISO standard date format, as I am
UK based we suffer with Excel dates, so an ISO standard helps to make our
life easier.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Thanks for the link Bob ( Lots to get through here) and explanation.

I have tried to find the posting dated the 8-nov but I always find it
difficult searching for previous postings if I have overlooked keeping my
notification email. Can you send me a link to it?
Thanks
Dermot

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

"Dermot" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Thanks again Bob,
It is important that you neter the formula as supplied, if you muck about
with it, don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

I did initially enter the formula "Exactly" as you supplied and it didn't
work for me, but I think this may be do do with the cell references. I didn't
really understand what I was doing. You have given me a lot of additional
information to aid my better understanding so I will read spend some time
reviewing it all.

Thanks for the comments about the UK dates. I am in the UK too and briefly
wondered about this...thanks.

Dermot

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

"Dermot" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Hi Bob.
A few more questions now that I have had a proper look at the information.

I have entered the following formula into and appropriate cell on a small
test sheet I made upexacly as specified. Then I tried it modified ,to refer
to cells which contain the dates as below, but no joy...get an error message.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A6= --"=G3",(A2:A6,F3< = --
"=H3"),--(B2:B6="=F3"),(C2:C6+D2:D6))

G3 is the start date cell, H3 is the End Date Cell, F3 is the company cell.

I formatted A2 to A6 to date format 3.2.2005 am not sure if this is correct
as when the error is generated a blue rectangle appears arround the date
column.

If you know the periods, that is
if they are fixed, you could code all of them directly into the spreadsheet,
saving the users any need to change it.

How whould I do incorporate all start, end dates for all quarters.
Maybbe a bit ahead of myself here when I haven't got the supplied equation
to work yet!!

Regards
Dermot

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

"Dermot" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Hi Bob
I meant to post this basic shhet to dmonstrate what I am getting.

Date Company Name Amount X Amount Y Quarterly Totals Due
3.1.05 co 1 10 10 Company Start Date End Date Amount Due
5.1.05 co2 10 10
2.2.05 c01 10 10
5.3.05 c03 10 10
23.3.05 c02 10 10

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

"Dermot" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips

Yeah, let's concentrate on getting something working Dermot.

First, enter the dates in A2:A6 in the format 03/02/2005. Dots will only
work if you have some special setting.

Secondly, in the formula, when referring to a date cell you don't need to
coerce nit to a date (It is already done)< and you don't need quotes, and
similarly for testing the company name test as a cell, so it is just

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

"Dermot" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Hi Bob,
I missed this posting and posted a lot of rubbish in the two postings at the
end. Please ignore them.

I will review all the information you have given me todate.

Is it okay with you, for me to post back here, if I have any further
questions relating to this problem?

Regards
Dermot

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

"Dermot" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Hi Bob,
I have read through and have obtained a great understanding of the
versatility of "SUMPRODUCT" Thanks again. The link explains all very clearly.

One further question regarding the information on the linked
page.....although it is not relevent to the initial question in this
topic....I do not know any other way to explain the question...please
advise.....
Question

I noticed that the tables i.e. Table 2 ......use a double border effect on
the cells, I wondered if this had been applied from within excel....I can't
find a method to do it in excel....or were the examples in this tutorial
produced in another application?
Thanks
Dermot

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

"Dermot" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips

Hi Dermot,

No, that is jsut an HTML table border. All hand-crafted with TextPad.

--

HTH

RP

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

"Dermot" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ragdyer

Do you realize that you have just posted Bob's e-mail address on the web?

Why do you think that we disguise our addresses?
So that we love to get TONS of spam?

IMHO, you have done him a *GREAT* disservice ! ! !

RD

"Dermot" wrote in message
Hi Bob
I sent an email to your email address not sure if you accept emails from newsgroup posters?
I attached my excel attempt to understand SUMPRODUCT....but I haven't
managed to get it to work for me yet.
Would you be able to send me a working example as discussed in this

posting?
Thanks
Dermot

"Dermot" wrote:

I have a spread sheet with for simplicity 4 columns
Column 1 is a Date Column,
Column 2 is a Company Name,
Column 3 is a Payment amount X
Column 4 is a Payment amount Y

The amount due is the sum of X+Y between the relevant dates.

The entries are in date order and the Company names random.
The number of entries per company varies also.
I want to be able to calculate the amount due for each company over a

thee
month period between certain varied dates.

Questions
1. Is there a way to enter the dates to calculate between.
2. What is the best way to perform the calculations for each company?

An example or link to an example would be appreciated.
Regards
Dermot

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Yes I noticed what I did after the event...a bit thoughtless
Sorry about this Bob
Regards
Dermot