Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Default Caculating Columns Between Certain Dates

Thanks for the reply Bob,
I have looked up the SUMPRODUCT Function in my excel inside out book to
better.
I have yet to try the formula but wonder if you could clarify a few
questions for me?

1. Can you write a verbal interpretation of the formula you have supplied me
so I can better understand the reasoning behind it?

2. Using your supplied formula. Can it be place in any cell or does it have
to be a specific cell to ensure the correct cell references?

3. The Dates you have entered. How are these entered? Can they be changed
for different periods throughout the year? Does the individual using the
spreadsheet need to modify the formula or just enter a start date and end
date, and then the calculation would be automatic? The intended users are not
too familiar with excel, and I am not sure what I can and cannot do with
excel regarding this problem.
I do need to find a solution Bob and appreciate your contribution. You
supplied me with a brief formla for another problem, which resolved my
problem, but it took me a while before I undestood what I was doing.

Please advise further
Regards
Dermot

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200=--"2005-01-01"),--(A2:A200<=--"2005-03-31"),--(B2:b2
00="company_name"),(C2:C200+D2:D200))

--

HTH

RP

"Dermot" wrote in message
I have a spread sheet with for simplicity 4 columns
Column 1 is a Date Column,
Column 2 is a Company Name,
Column 3 is a Payment amount X
Column 4 is a Payment amount Y

The amount due is the sum of X+Y between the relevant dates.

The entries are in date order and the Company names random.
The number of entries per company varies also.
I want to be able to calculate the amount due for each company over a thee
month period between certain varied dates.

Questions
1. Is there a way to enter the dates to calculate between.
2. What is the best way to perform the calculations for each company?

An example or link to an example would be appreciated.
Regards
Dermot