Robert

Default I need Help!

I have a slight problem that Excel either can not do or I can not enter the
formula correctly. I am asking for your expertise. What I need is to enter
Value A into a cell and then enter Value B into a cell, have Excel do the
division, and then generate a table with that number of rows. For example, if
I enter "20" into cell A2, enter "5" into cell B2, I need Excel to generate a
table in cell C4 that starts at 1 and then in cell D4 is 2, then 3 ....

If further elaboration is needed, what I am looking for is this. If I have a
distance of say 20 meters & I want to break it into 5 equal sections. I will
enter 20 in cell A2 and enter 5 in cell A3. I want Excel to realize (from my
input of 5) that I want 5 columns. Say I enter the "code" in cell C5 I want
Excel to place a "1" in cell C5, & in cell D5, place a "2", in D6, place a
"3"... until it reaches the nmber of sections that I asked for. I hope this
is clear & I hope that someone can help.

Thank you
Biff

Hi!

This is a little different than your post from the other night.

What you want is (now) clear but where you want it is not!

If you want this to be listed DOWN a column:

=IF(ROWS($1:1)<=B$2,ROWS($1:1),"")

Copy DOWN as needed.

If you want this to be listed ACROSS a row:

=IF(COLUMNS($A:A)<=$B2,COLUMNS($A:A),"")

Copy ACROSS as needed.

Biff

"Robert" <Robert @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message

[...]

ScottO

A couple of questions ...
1. Is there a maximum number of sections that you're expecting?
2. Is it OK to designate an "Answer Table Area" equal in size to the
maximum number of sections?
3. What do you want to do with any remainders from the division
calculation (eg 22/5 = 4 with 2/5 over)?
Rgds,
ScottO