gls858

Default converting numbers to text

I entered several numbers with leading zeros only to notice
after the fact that the leading zero's were being dropped as
expected. I then highlighted the numbers went to format and selected
text. The numbers all shifted to the left but the leading zeros
didn't appear. If I format a cell as text and them enter the number
the leading zeros appear. Is there no way to convert the ones that I
already entered? I thought for sure that I done this before without
a problem.

gls858
gls858

Kassie wrote:
Hi

To convert number to text, use a formula such as =TEXT(A13,"0000000")in a
helper column - say B13, if the number is in A13. This is just an example,
you can use your desired text format for the number, eg with decimals, or the
number of leading zero's you want.

Thanks for the reply Kassie. Works but not quite as desired. The numbers
are a list of product numbers and the leading zeros vary. example
00011
0478
002
04258
Ended up just redoing the ones I needed to fix. I was just sure that I had
converted numbers like this before. Guess I was mistaken.

gls858