-   -   How can I cut data from one column and move it to another. (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/50115-how-can-i-cut-data-one-column-move-another.html)

mhbond999

How can I cut data from one column and move it to another.

I have a list of several thousand data points in a txt file. When I copy it
it all goes into one colume but does seperate by line. There are two seperate
data points in each line. I need to take the second point and move it into
the second column.

Example
1994 4.21 ( sperated by five spaces)
into this
1994 | 4.21 ( two different columns)

Is there a way I can tell Excel to skip 9 spaces and then cut the next four
to the next column?

Anne Troy

Try selecting the entire column A after you paste. Then, from the menu,
choose Data--Text to columns.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"mhbond999" wrote in message
I have a list of several thousand data points in a txt file. When I copy it
it all goes into one colume but does seperate by line. There are two
seperate
data points in each line. I need to take the second point and move it into
the second column.

Example
1994 4.21 ( sperated by five spaces)
into this
1994 | 4.21 ( two different columns)

Is there a way I can tell Excel to skip 9 spaces and then cut the next
four
to the next column?

mhbond999

How can I cut data from one column and move it to another.

Beautiful. Exactly what I needed. Thank you Very Much.