couriced

Default problem: formula appears as text

Hello...I'm stumped....

I am entering a simple formula: =RIGHT(A2,2) in a cell. The sheet has
data on it but not a whole lot going on. I have tried formatting the
cell itself, the column, and the entire sheet a number of
ways...however, the formula appears in the cell as =RIGHT(A2,2)...as if
were a text entry...it won't actually just turn into a formula and do
it's thing.

Thanks in advance for response....

--
couriced
couriced's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26900

gls858

couriced wrote:
Hello...I'm stumped....

I am entering a simple formula: =RIGHT(A2,2) in a cell. The sheet has
data on it but not a whole lot going on. I have tried formatting the
cell itself, the column, and the entire sheet a number of
ways...however, the formula appears in the cell as =RIGHT(A2,2)...as if
were a text entry...it won't actually just turn into a formula and do
it's thing.

Thanks in advance for response....

Try control key ~ this toggles the view for formulas

gls858
swatsp0p

I'm not sure what is going on as well. Generally, if a cell is
formatted as TEXT, you will experience this phenomenon. However, if
you are sure the cell with the formula is formatted as GENERAL and
still see this, I would try using the "Insert Function" method to see
if that takes.

On the main menu click InsertFunction and choose Text in the Category
drop down. Scroll down and select Right in the select box and click
OK.

enter your parameters as desired and click OK to insert this function
in the selected cell.

Does this work for you?

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=473112

swatsp0p

gls858 Wrote:

Try control key ~ this toggles the view for formulas

gls858

Oooooh, I had forgotten about that 'hot-key' combo. Good one! Thanks
for the follow up!

Cheers

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=473112

couriced

Thank you for the replies.

I have a few days off from work...when I return I will try that on the
user's sheet to see what happens.

The only way I could get it to work in the meantime, was to put the
formula on a whole new sheet...and then copy and paste the cell over to
the "wierd" sheet. That worked fine.