Rob at BTAS Inc.

Default flashing cell

Is there a simple way to make a cell blink or flash or otherwise be very
distinctive from other cells?
JulieD

Hi Rob,

would formatting it lime green & purple help? seriously, you'll need to use
VBA to achieve this, so i'm not sure it falls into the simple category,
however, Rob van Gelder posted this answer to a similar question a couple of
months back
*****
Check out my website for "Schedule a macro to run"
Include something like:
Sub RunMe()
With Range("A1").Font
If .ColorIndex = 3 Then .ColorIndex = 4 Else .ColorIndex = 3
End With
ScheduleNextEvent
End Sub
or if you want the background to blink: With Range("A1").Interior
******

Hope this helps
JulieD

"Rob at BTAS Inc." wrote in message
Is there a simple way to make a cell blink or flash or otherwise be very
distinctive from other cells?

monir

(Excel 2003 Windows XP)

Hi JulieD;

I'm trying "Schedule a macro to run" from Rob van Gelder's website, as per
your earlier suggestion.

1. I've added Activate and Deactivate w/s events, and w/b Open event to the
procedure. The intended cell blinks nicely at one-sec intervals. There are,
however, two problems with the procedure while RunMe() is running.

2. The Excel Screen, mouse Pointer, task bar Ready, etc. "jiggle" or
"pulsate" at random. Tried on 2 different computers, two different OS, two
different versions of Excel. The jiggling stops once I stop RunMe() !!

3. The "Paste" and "Paste Special" commands in the Excel Edit menu are
disabled while RunMe() is running !
I've inserted the following at the top of ScheduleNextEvent() and later at
the top of RunMe(): (without success!)
If Application.CutCopyMode = FLASE Then
ActiveWorkbook.Styles("normal"). NumberFormat = _
ActiveWorkbook.Styles("normal"). NumberFormat
End If

Your advice on how to solve these 2 problems would be greatly appreciated.
Regards and have a nice day!

"JulieD" wrote:

[...]

JulieD

Hi Rob

also using Excel 2003 on windows XP i can use paste & paste special while
the runme is running ... and i don't get any 'jiggling' - if you'ld like to
send me your workbook direct (julied_ng at hcts dot net dot au) i'ld be
happy to test it on my system and see if i can spot what's going on

Cheers
JulieD

"JulieD" wrote:

[...]

JulieD

Hi Monir

received and answered :) (well as best as i could anyway)

Cheers
JulieD

"monir" wrote in message
Hi Julie;
I've just done that (direct).
Thank you.

"JulieD" wrote:

[...]

Rob van Gelder

Julie: I'd be interested in seeing your solution... e-mail me direct if you
like - rob at vangelder dot co dot nz

A while ago, someone pointed out that the flashing cells I wrote would clear
the Undo stack.

This version doesn't clear Undo, but you get the "jiggles" due to
ActiveSheet.Select

Private dtmNextEvent As Date

Sub StartFlashing()
Dim nam As Name
On Error Resume Next
Set nam = ThisWorkbook.Names("FlashState")
If nam Is Nothing Then Set nam = ThisWorkbook.Names.Add("FlashState")
nam.Value = "=MOD(SECOND(NOW()),2)=0"
ToggleFlashState
End Sub

Sub StopFlashing()
On Error Resume Next
Application.OnTime dtmNextEvent, "ToggleFlashState", , False
End Sub

Sub ToggleFlashState()
On Error Resume Next
ActiveSheet.Select
dtmNextEvent = Now() + TimeSerial(0, 0, 1)
Application.OnTime dtmNextEvent, "ToggleFlashState", , True
End Sub

OP: No-one really likes a serious business tool like Excel being turned into
a neon sign - please make it look professional.

"JulieD" wrote in message
Hi Monir

received and answered :) (well as best as i could anyway)

Cheers
JulieD

"monir" wrote in message
Hi Julie;
I've just done that (direct).
Thank you.

"monir" wrote in message
(Excel 2003 Windows XP)

Hi JulieD;

I'm trying "Schedule a macro to run" from Rob van Gelder's website, as
per
your earlier suggestion.

1. I've added Activate and Deactivate w/s events, and w/b Open event
the
procedure. The intended cell blinks nicely at one-sec intervals.
There
are,
however, two problems with the procedure while RunMe() is running.

2. The Excel Screen, mouse Pointer, task bar Ready, etc. "jiggle" or
"pulsate" at random. Tried on 2 different computers, two different
OS,
two
different versions of Excel. The jiggling stops once I stop RunMe()
!!

"JulieD" wrote:

[...]

JulieD

Hi Rob

Monir and me are still working on the "paste" problem and BTW apart from the
choice of Fuschia it is looking very professional (i'm a dark blue person
myself) - i was v. impressed at how the OP integrated the blinking cells in
the workbook.

We'll send you the final result once Monir's tested my latest changes.

Cheers
JulieD

"JulieD" wrote in message
Hi Monir

received and answered :) (well as best as i could anyway)

Cheers
JulieD

"monir" wrote in message
Hi Julie;