Junior Member

Smile I need a macro to associate values in columns

I have a list of names in the first column which can contain one or more of the same name, and a list of numbers associated with each name in column 2 . what i want to do is search through the names and add the corresponding numbers, so as I end up with a column with names which are not duplicated and a column with the the sum of numbers associated with each name thanks

Last edited by jaccobby : September 12th 12 at 07:53 PM Reason: forgot to mention thanks
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccobby View Post
I have a list of names in the first column which can contain one or more of the same name, and a list of numbers associated with each name in column 2 . what i want to do is search through the names and add the corresponding numbers, so as I end up with a column with names which are not duplicated and a column with the the sum of numbers associated with each name thanks
Any chance of an example workbook? Always a great starting point for help...
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Any chance of an example workbook? Always a great starting point for help...
what I want is
Names values Names values
name1 256 name1 1690
name2 148 name2 513
name1 268 name3 2237
name3 967
name3 685
name1 598
name2 365
name1 568
name3 585

Last edited by jaccobby : September 13th 12 at 09:00 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccobby View Post
what I want is
Names values Names values
name1 256 name1 1690
name2 148 name2 513
name1 268 name3 2237
name3 967
name3 685
name1 598
name2 365
name1 568
name3 585
Can you not use a pivot table to do this?

It's easy enough to do with formulas, SUMIF or SUMPRODUCT will do it depending on which version of Excel you use. But they will both depend on you having a unique list of names to begin with.

I don't know a macro would be necessary.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Can you not use a pivot table to do this?

not exactly what I had in mind but thanks anyway

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default I need a macro to associate values in columns

Hi,

Am Fri, 14 Sep 2012 18:28:20 +0000 schrieb jaccobby:

not exactly what I had in mind but thanks anyway

filter the names with advanced filter without duplicates to Column G
e.g. Then in H2:
=SUMIF($A$2:$A$100,G2,$B$2:$B$100)
and copy down

Regards