PA

Default Creating links - Unexplained behaviour

I have a workbook with 5 worksheets, N, S, E, W and Summary.
On the N, S, E, W worksheets in cell F15 is a sum calculation, =sum(B15:E15).
I want to link each of the 4 sums in F15 to the summary worksheet and then
get an overall sum.
If I copy F15 to the clipboard from the N worksheet, go to the Summary
worksheet, select a cell and paste a link from Paste Special, and then click
the next cell down into which I want to link from the S worksheet, everything
is fine, I get =N!$F$15.
However, if I press Enter, I get an error =SUM(#REF!) and Excel does not
move to the next cell below.
Could someone please explain why I am not able to use the Enter key in this
type of operation.

Many thanks.
Mike

=N!F15
=S!F15
=E!F15
=W!F15
then do the sum

"PA" wrote:

I have a workbook with 5 worksheets, N, S, E, W and Summary.
On the N, S, E, W worksheets in cell F15 is a sum calculation, =sum(B15:E15).
I want to link each of the 4 sums in F15 to the summary worksheet and then
get an overall sum.
If I copy F15 to the clipboard from the N worksheet, go to the Summary
worksheet, select a cell and paste a link from Paste Special, and then click
the next cell down into which I want to link from the S worksheet, everything
is fine, I get =N!$F$15.
However, if I press Enter, I get an error =SUM(#REF!) and Excel does not
move to the next cell below.
Could someone please explain why I am not able to use the Enter key in this
type of operation.

Many thanks.

PA

Thanks for the response, Mike. Your suggestion is what I ultimately did.
However, I am still curious as to why I got those errors when I pressed
enter, but did not when I used the mouse to select the cell below.

"Mike" wrote:

=N!F15
=S!F15
=E!F15
=W!F15
then do the sum

"PA" wrote:

I have a workbook with 5 worksheets, N, S, E, W and Summary.
On the N, S, E, W worksheets in cell F15 is a sum calculation, =sum(B15:E15).
I want to link each of the 4 sums in F15 to the summary worksheet and then
get an overall sum.
If I copy F15 to the clipboard from the N worksheet, go to the Summary
worksheet, select a cell and paste a link from Paste Special, and then click
the next cell down into which I want to link from the S worksheet, everything
is fine, I get =N!$F$15.
However, if I press Enter, I get an error =SUM(#REF!) and Excel does not
move to the next cell below.
Could someone please explain why I am not able to use the Enter key in this
type of operation.

Many thanks.

George Nicholson

It seems as if using Enter (or an arrow key) cancels the "PasteLink"
operation and changes it to a simple Paste. I don't know why or if it's
documented behaviour.

FWIW, Shift + Enter seems to maintain the desired PasteLink. (Don't know if
that's documented either <g)

HTH,
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"PA" wrote in message
Thanks for the response, Mike. Your suggestion is what I ultimately did.
However, I am still curious as to why I got those errors when I pressed
enter, but did not when I used the mouse to select the cell below.

"Mike" wrote:

=N!F15
=S!F15
=E!F15