VP

Default Formula needed to compare columns

I have a spreadsheet with one column of employee's job titles. One of the
other columns shows if they work full time or part time. There are several
employees with the same title who work either full time or part time. I need
a formula which calculates how many employees with that title work full time
and how many with that title work part time. (sorry if this is a duplication
- it didn't look like my first attempt to send worked.)
Rowan

Assume you have your list of titles in A1:A15 and either "Full" or
"Part" in B1:B15. In C1 you have the title you want to check. Enter the
formula:

=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$15=C1),--($B$1:$B$15="Part"))
to get count of part time workers with that title and similarly:
=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$15=C1),--($B$1:$B$15="Full"))
to get count of full time.

More on sumproduct functions at

Hope this helps
Rowan

VP wrote:
I have a spreadsheet with one column of employee's job titles. One of the
other columns shows if they work full time or part time. There are several
employees with the same title who work either full time or part time. I need
a formula which calculates how many employees with that title work full time
and how many with that title work part time. (sorry if this is a duplication
- it didn't look like my first attempt to send worked.)

Bill Ridgeway

A Pivot table should do that job OK.

Click on <Data<Pivot table and pivot chart report. Follow the prompts and
drag the column headings to the 'table'. You may have to experiment a bit
but once you've got the hang of pivot tables they are quite straight
forward.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions