johnexcel

Default How to move to next cell by entering data-not using Enter key.

I am using ms excel to enter data, 1 for Yes and 2 for No, for 300
items/questions listed successively in column A. The data is then
tallied on another excel page. However, I would like to have the entry
of 1 or 2 provide the jump to the next cell down ( each time1 or 2 is
entered) rather than have to always press enter key to go to the next
cell. Any ideas how to proceed?

--
johnexcel
johnexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26600

FSt1

hi,
it would be nice but i'm afraid you wont be able to do that.
when you enter data in a cell, the cell goes to edit mode. it stays in edit
move until an event happens to remove it from edit mode. such as click the
cell with the mouse pointer, press the down arrow or enter.

Sorry
regards
FSt1

"johnexcel" wrote:

I am using ms excel to enter data, 1 for Yes and 2 for No, for 300
items/questions listed successively in column A. The data is then
tallied on another excel page. However, I would like to have the entry
of 1 or 2 provide the jump to the next cell down ( each time1 or 2 is
entered) rather than have to always press enter key to go to the next
cell. Any ideas how to proceed?

--
johnexcel
johnexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26600
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398736

Bernie Deitrick

John,

You could enter your 1s and 2s as a long string in cell A1 (use a leading single quote prior to
entering the numbers), and use this formula in cell A2

=MID($A$1,ROW()-1,1)

copied down for 300 rows. When you enter your last item in cell A1, the formulas will extract the
correct value from the entered string.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP