Rodney

Default locating all instances of text in a column

employing excel as a db
cells in 1 column may hold ,

"blue,white,orange, red"
"black,blue,white,orange"
"peat brown, raspeberry red,blue,white"
"blue,puce, vermillion, bistre,white,orange, red"

Is there a way I can ask excel to return all
records that hold "blue" and auto hide the rest?
Or sort so all records with blue in cells in that column
go to the top?

Send spam to the FTC at

..

Peo Sjoblom

Datafilterautofilter, custom and contains blue

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"Rodney" wrote in message
employing excel as a db
cells in 1 column may hold ,

"blue,white,orange, red"
"black,blue,white,orange"
"peat brown, raspeberry red,blue,white"
"blue,puce, vermillion, bistre,white,orange, red"

Is there a way I can ask excel to return all
records that hold "blue" and auto hide the rest?
Or sort so all records with blue in cells in that column
go to the top?

Send spam to the FTC at

.

Rodney

Thanks Peo,
my version does not have "contains"
I had troubles then realised, I had to put wildcards before and after
the string.
Everything fine now.
Best Regards
Rodney

| Datafilterautofilter, custom and contains blue
|
| --
| Regards,
|
| Peo Sjoblom
|
| (No private emails please)
|

| "Rodney" wrote in message
| employing excel as a db
| cells in 1 column may hold ,
|
| "blue,white,orange, red"
| "black,blue,white,orange"
| "peat brown, raspeberry red,blue,white"
| "blue,puce, vermillion, bistre,white,orange, red"
|
| Is there a way I can ask excel to return all
| records that hold "blue" and auto hide the rest?
| Or sort so all records with blue in cells in that column
| go to the top?
|

| Send spam to the FTC at
|

| .

Dave Peterson

I bet if you scroll down that list of custom options, you'll see Contains near
the bottom.

--

Dave Peterson
Rodney

| I bet if you scroll down that list of custom options, you'll see Contains near
| the bottom.

Of course! what was I thinking?
reminds me of that saying....
"We are all born ignorant, to remain stupid, we have to work at it"

Cheers and thanks.

Dave Peterson

The real question is "why didn't MS make that dropdown list just a tad longer?"

(I find typing the asterisks quicker, too.)