ferde

Default yes and no column

I am a beginner and I have an audit to do. I will need to add up all of the
yes and no answers which are in a single column

Thank you in advance
ferde
Max

One way ..

Assuming the answers are in col B:

=COUNTIF(B:B,"Yes")
=COUNTIF(B:B,"No")

And if there's the possibility of white spaces creeping into the "Yes" and
"No" answers entered in the column (assuming these were manually input,
say), we could try something like:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(TRIM($B$1:$B$100)="Yes"))
=SUMPRODUCT(--(TRIM($B$1:$B$100)="No"))

The TRIM() will remove all the extraneous leading / trailing white spaces
(if any) for a more robust match

Adapt the ranges to suit. Note that we can't use entire col references (A:A,
B:B, etc) in SUMPRODUCT
--
Rgds
Max