Richard

Default Combobox display on startup

Hi

There is probably a very simple answer to this but I can't find it...

I have designed a spreadsheet were the end user can select the data to view
by selecting the Year from a range of years and Category from a range of
categories. When the file is reopened the Comboboxes no longer display the
selection; how do I get round this please?
--
Thanks

Richard
Mark Hone

Hi Richard,

First question: did you get the Combo boxes from the "Control" command bar
or the "Forms" command bar? Basically, each one is a different (albeit
similar) control. For further info, see this link:
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/Excel-co...ms-toolbox.htm

What you need to do is to add a linked cell to the combo box, where it will
store the chosen value. This should then be retained, provided the workbook
is saved on exit.

For a Control-type Combo Box do the following:
- Make sure you are in design mode
- Right-click the combo box and select Properties
- In the property called LinkedCell, type in the address of the cell e.g. A1
- Close the Properties window and exit design mode

For a Form-type Combo box do the following:
- Right-click the combo box and select Format Control
- Select the tab labelled Control
- In the box called Cell Link, type in the address of the cell e.g. A1
- Click OK

Hopefully this will solve your problem.

Cheers,

Mark

"Richard" wrote:

Hi

There is probably a very simple answer to this but I can't find it...

I have designed a spreadsheet were the end user can select the data to view
by selecting the Year from a range of years and Category from a range of
categories. When the file is reopened the Comboboxes no longer display the
selection; how do I get round this please?
--
Thanks

Richard

Richard

Thanks Mark, very helpful, you have solved my problem.

I used a combobox from the forms command bar for a range of years, then
selected a year, closed the file and then reopened it. The combobox displayed
the selected year.
When I went through the same process with a combobox from the control
command bar, the combobox displayed nothing.
--
Thanks

Richard

"Richard" wrote:

Hi

There is probably a very simple answer to this but I can't find it...

I have designed a spreadsheet were the end user can select the data to view
by selecting the Year from a range of years and Category from a range of
categories. When the file is reopened the Comboboxes no longer display the
selection; how do I get round this please?
--
Thanks

Richard

Mark Hone

Hi Richard,

Glad to be of help. If I have indeed solved your problem, perhaps you could
change the status of the thread to indicate your question has been answered.

Kind regards,

Mark

"Richard" wrote:

Hi

There is probably a very simple answer to this but I can't find it...

I have designed a spreadsheet were the end user can select the data to view
by selecting the Year from a range of years and Category from a range of
categories. When the file is reopened the Comboboxes no longer display the
selection; how do I get round this please?
--
Thanks

Richard

Mark Hone