malik641

Quick question: Are you using the retail markup method? Or just your
standard (Price*Percent)+Price???

Just want to know before I get started on question 2 that you have :)

As for the rest....I'm leaving work now, but I'll read it later after
class and try to help whether or not anybody responds

--
malik641

malik641's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24190
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391062

ElNino

Default Need help making a spreadsheet for my business.

Hello,

I am new to Excel. I am starting a business online, and I am using osCommerce to run my online shop. I have installed a contribution for osCommerce called "Easy Populate", and I am in need of help. Easy populate exports a tab-delimited text file with the info in my store's database regarding my products, and my vendor provides me with a daily ..csv file with all of the data relating to their products. Once I have these two files, I am supposed to merge them both into a single tab-delimited text file (using Easy Populate's structure) to import into my store's database.

I have 2 questions that I need help with:

1) How do I merge these 2 files into a single file? The rules of the resulting file should be as follows... The products whose model number already exists in the Easy Populate file should only have their prices updated, and the products whose model number does not exist in the Easy Populate file should be added either at the top or at the bottom of the resulting file because they will need to be manually edited to include the missing info that is not provided by the vendor's .csv file, and will need to be easily identified so that the import will not give errors due to missing data.

2) The resulting file should have a formula applied to it so that the prices from the vendor's .csv file are adjusted according to the following table:

Price ----------------- Mark Up
$1-$50 ---------------- 30%
$51-$100 -------------- 20%
$101-$200 ------------- 15%
$201+ ------------------ 10%

I am totally clueless on even where to start on this, and am in need of dire help! Someone please give me some pointers on how to do it.

--
ElNino
ElNino

Hello Malik,

Thanks for looking into this for me! I can't even begin to tell you how much
it is appreciated. As to your question... I think I would prefer the retail
markup method, as it would make things easier on accounting. Thanks again! I
can't wait to see your response!

--
ElNino

Quick question: Are you using the retail markup method? Or just your
standard (Price*Percent)+Price???

Just want to know before I get started on question 2 that you have :)

malik641

Just to double check myself....(I haven't done this in a while)...

Retail mark-up method:

$500 with a markup of 20%
=(500*0.20)+500
=$600

And Retail margin:

$500 with a 30% margin
=500/0.70
=714.29

And you want the retail *markup* method, right?

--
malik641

malik641's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24190
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391062

malik641

I'm not too sure yet how you will combine the two files into one
yet...I'm still kinda new to Excel's capabilities and how to use them

Although I'm pretty sure you're going to need a macro to do that, which
I'm trying to figure out right now. But for now, I have something for
you to play with. Check out the attachment. I gave you two ways to do
the markup (either a formula or a macro).

I think you will want to use the macro function procedure because when
you combine the two files into one and there is a new model number, you
can use the macro that will combine the two functions to add the formula
in the adjacent cell to display the markup value INSTEAD of manually
typing in the formula. I'm sure you would rather it be done
automatically.

Tell me what you think of the attached file (worksheet and VB Editor).

Hope this is a good start!

|Filename: Example.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3656 |

malik641

malik641's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24190
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391062

ElNino

I have registered on these forums now. For some reason the messages I
just posted on the newsgroup haven't made it here yet. I suppose it's
not instantly synchronized with the newsgroup or something, but I still
think that this is pretty cool. I like these types of boards better than
newsgroups anyways. ;)

--
ElNino
ElNino's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25725

ElNino

Ahh, I see the difference now. I'm going to need the margin method actually.
I'm probably going to need to rethink my chart now that I have been
enlightened with this info, but I can probably adjust that easily if need be
once I see the actual excel formula to accomplish this.
--
ElNino

malik641

ElNino Wrote:
so I'm going to need a
while to learn...

Meeeee toooo....I bought 2 books on excel (formulas and VBA) because
I've been working with it SOO much! And yes, excel is EXTREMELY
powerful.

--
malik641

malik641's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24190
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391062

ElNino

Sweet! I didn't even know that excel had a built-in VB editor until now.
That is just awesome!! It's been a while since I used VB though, and I've
never used Excel/macros for that matter until now, so I'm going to need a
while to learn, but this looks very promising. You have opened my eyes to
the power of Excel! This program just became 1000 times more useful in my
eyes. =)

--
ElNino

I think you will want to use the macro function procedure because when
you combine the two files into one and there is a new model number, you
can use the macro that will combine the two functions to add the formula
in the adjacent cell to display the markup value INSTEAD of manually
typing in the formula. I'm sure you would rather it be done
automatically.

Tell me what you think of the attached file (worksheet and VB Editor).

ElNino

OK, I have thunk up a new chart based on the retail margin method and
here it is:

$1-50 - 25% (Cost/.75)
$51-75 - 20% (Cost/.8)
$76-100 - 15% (Cost/.85)
$101+ - 10% (Cost/.9)

Now I just need to figure out the formula/macro to make it work.

--
ElNino
ElNino's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25725
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391062

ElNino

So, have ya given up on me? I still need help on this.... anyone???

--
ElNino
ElNino's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25725
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391062

malik641

Sorry ElNino...haven't checked this forum in a day or 2

Here ya go!

|Filename: Example.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3662 |

malik641

malik641's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24190
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391062

David McRitchie

For your information, and I should have noticed it was going to be a zip file

Invalid Attachment specified. I

"malik641" wrote
Sorry ElNino...haven't checked this forum in a day or 2

malik641

huh......
I thought zip files were valid file extensions????

maybe I'll try this again. If it doesn't work I'm sorry and you can PM
me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

|Filename: Example.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3664 |

malik641

malik641's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24190
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391062

David McRitchie

The newsgroups are strictly text, so have no idea what Excel Forum
actually does, as long as attachments stay at Excel Forum they
don't cause a problem with newsgroups. Didn't you get an error
when you clicked on it.

"malik641" wrote in message

huh......
I thought zip files were valid file extensions????

maybe I'll try this again. If it doesn't work I'm sorry and you can PM
me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

|Filename: Example.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3664 |

malik641

malik641's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24190
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391062

malik641

No, no error...:(

I'm not joined to any news groups either.....so I guess you have to be
a registered user to view it????

Where would I find an Excel newsgroup??

--
malik641

malik641's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24190
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391062

David McRitchie

You are posting from ExcelForum so I presume you joined that.

If you are not behind a firewall, the best way to view the newsgroup
is via Outlook Express, almost a necessity if you are on dial-up.
If you use Outlook Express for your email, then you can use it
for your newsgroups as well.

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/ie/oe6.htm

---
HTH,

"malik641" wrote in message

No, no error...:(

I'm not joined to any news groups either.....so I guess you have to be
a registered user to view it????

Where would I find an Excel newsgroup??

--
malik641

malik641's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24190
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391062

ElNino

I was able to download both files just fine.

Thanks for your help malik! The info on VB and the macros were very
helpful, but I really don't know how to apply it to what I'm trying to
accomplish. Is there someone out there that could possibly give me a
step-by-step process on how to do this?

--
ElNino
ElNino's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25725
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391062

David McRitchie

To install the macros once unzipped see

This thread illustrates one of the problems of not using a newsreader
to read and post messages, you replied to Malik, but your
message was threaded as if a reply to mine because mine was
the last reply in the thread. See the threaded view in Google,
and it is a threaded view of postings that people using a newsreader
would see, if not hiding postings they had read, and in any case
their replies would be threaded directly under (indented) to the post they
replied to..
http://google.com/groups?threadm=ElN...rum-nospam.com

Note Google Groups is set apart from Google Web search with many
of the reposting websites, a web search is forced to have go through
both in fact probably several instances of postings in newsgroups.

You get new stuff, hints of what to look for in newsgroups, but you
normally get (used to anyway) a more organized structure of

---
HTH,

"ElNino" wrote in message

I was able to download both files just fine.

Thanks for your help malik! The info on VB and the macros were very
helpful, but I really don't know how to apply it to what I'm trying to
accomplish. Is there someone out there that could possibly give me a
step-by-step process on how to do this?

--
ElNino
ElNino's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25725
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391062

ElNino

Thanks David, that info was pretty helpful to me in understanding macros
and their usage, but what I am looking for is a more personalized guide
on how I can take the 2 spreadsheets I have (one from my vendor, and
another from my site) and insert certain data from the vendor's
spreadsheet into the one from my site, then run the macro to update the
prices.

--
ElNino
ElNino's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25725
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=391062

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
ElNino

UPDATE:

I just thought I'd drop in and let you guys know that I figured out the
hardest part of this project today - FINALLY! :) :) :) :)

My brain must have gone into overtime today, lol because It just dawned
on me all of a sudden (strange how these things happen, eh?). Anyways,
I'll explain how I was able to do this with 2 simple excel formulas.

First of all, in my vendor's spreadsheet, they give the stock
quantities of 12 of their locations seperately, so I needed to figure
out a formula to add them all up. They also have a "status" column that
states if the product is active or discontinuing, so I needed to make
sure the quantity of the products whos status is "discontinuing" was 0.
Also, in some of the products, instead of giving an exact stock
quantity, they put the word "Available" in the cell that is supposed to
contain the quantity. I don't know why they did this, but since I had no
idea how many were actualy available, I chose to replace the word
"Available" with 99 in the same formula. The status column was column K
and the quantity columns were L-W. To make this work, first I selected
empty cell X2, and made the following formula:

Code:
--------------------
=SUM(L2:W2)*IF(K2="DISCONTINUING",0,1)+IF(L2="Avai lable",99,0)+IF(M2="Available",99,0)+IF(N2="Availa ble",99,0)+IF(O2="Available",99,0)+IF(P2="Availabl e",99,0)+IF(Q2="Available",99,0)+IF(R2="Available" ,99,0)+IF(S2="Available",99,0)+IF(T2="Available",9 9,0)+IF(U2="Available",99,0)+IF(V2="Available",99, 0)+IF(W2="Available",99,0)
--------------------

Then after applying this formula to cell X2, I highlighted it, and the
rest of the cells below it and edit- fill - down to fill the rest of
the cells in that column with data.

The only problem I had with this formula is when I put
*IF(K2="DISCONTINUING",0,1) at the very end like I wanted it instead of
right after the SUM statement, it didn't calculate right. I dunno why
this happened, but it did. So I am just going to have to deal with the
very few products whos status is discontinuing, and their quantity is
"Available" getting a number other than 0 for now (no biggie). If
anyone could tell me why this is happening, I would really love to
know.

For the next formula, I needed to get my vendor's price from column F
and apply that price to my markup chart. For simplicity's sake, I
decided not to use the retail markup method. I made up a new chart once
again,and this is the one I am going to stick with:
<$10 ---------------- Add $3
$10-$49.99 ---------- *1.3 (30%)
$50-$74.99 ---------- *1.2 (20%)
$75-$99.99 ---------- *1.15 (15%)
$100+ --------------- *1.1 (10%)

Once the markup is applied, I needed to output the result to column Y.
Here is the magical formula that made this work, which has forever
eluded me until today:

*drumroll*

Code:
--------------------
=IF(F2<10,F2+3,IF(AND(F2=10,F2<50),F2*1.3,IF(AND( F2=50,F2<75),F2*1.2,IF(AND(F2=75,F2<100),F2*1.15 ,F2*1.1))))
--------------------

Once this code was applied to Y2, I used the same method of filling the
rest of the column as earlier.

Only took me 6 months to figure out, lol. But I am proud of myself
considering that I had already given up and was going to hire someone
to do this for me. Now,I just need to get figure out a way to have
these formulas automatically applied to my daily vendor spreadsheet,
delete the unnecessary rows, and merge with the easy populate
spreadsheet from my website so it can be uploaded.

I don't think that will be nearly as much of a brain teaser as these
damn formulas were for me though.

--
ElNino
ElNino's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25725