Junior Member

Wink Please help!

ive recently bought a laptop with windows xp but i do not hav excel, i cannot afford to buy a microsoft office installation pack. any ideas on what else i can do??
Anne Troy

Just buy Excel. You can buy it by itself.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

--
vicki

Peo Sjoblom

Download open office

http://www.openoffice.org/

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"vicki" wrote in message

ive recently bought a laptop with windows xp but i do not hav excel, i
cannot afford to buy a microsoft office installation pack. any ideas on
what else i can do??

--
vicki

Dave Peterson

Maybe a free viewer (look, but no changes):

The free viewer from Microsoft:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/of...347961033.aspx

Or maybe a free spreadsheet program would work for you:
http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

vicki wrote:

ive recently bought a laptop with windows xp but i do not hav excel, i
cannot afford to buy a microsoft office installation pack. any ideas on
what else i can do??

--
vicki

--

Dave Peterson
Amedee Van Gasse

vicki shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.newusers:

ive recently bought a laptop with windows xp but i do not hav excel, i
cannot afford to buy a microsoft office installation pack. any ideas
on what else i can do??

Use OpenCalc which is a part of OpenOffice is a free(gratis) and
Free(libre) spreadsheet. It is combatible with Microsoft Excel.

Download it he
http://openoffice.org
I recommend the 2.0 beta (=version 1.9).

While we're recommending Free(libre) softwa
browser: Mozilla Firefox (replacement for Internet Explorer)
email&news: Mozilla Thunderbird (replacement for Outlook/Outlook
Express)
image manipulation: The Gimp (replacement for Photoshop, Paint Shop
Pro,...)
sound editing: Audacity

Success!

--
Amedee Van Gasse

Gordon

"vicki" wrote in message

ive recently bought a laptop with windows xp but i do not hav excel, i
cannot afford to buy a microsoft office installation pack. any ideas on
what else i can do??

--
vicki

Open Office 2 (1.9 Beta) will do everything the normal user of Excel needs,
is free, and will edit and save in Excel format.

Icon

vicki Wrote:
I can not afford to buy a microsoft office installation pack. Any ideas
on what else I can do??

Just as the other said about Open Office. If you are ondial up, get it
from a DVD freebie that comes with a computer magazine. Also look out
for 602 Suite (they will send you tips from time to time and the pro
version is quite cheap. I must admit that I have never used the
spreadsheet though.)

If you can find a computer fair, you should be able to locate someone
selling Lotus cds. I got Lotus Millenium for a quid at one.

(Sheesh!

My first post and I am telling someone to go elsewhere.)

--
Icon
David McRitchie

Open Office (openoffice.org) 49MB won't do macros, you will also need to
pick up Java at sun.com 9MB

If you are starting college in the Fall you would qualify for a student discount
through the univ. bookstore.

If you are working then a laptop generally can be used in addition to a desktop,
you would have to check at work to find out what is in their contract license.

People do sell and purchase Excel on EBay, would suggest Excel 2000 make sure
it is a packaged by Microsoft and not a OEM version.

Generally you want to buy your computer with what you want or know ahead
of time what it is going to cost you with everything that you need. Buying
MS Office installed with your computer (OEM) is a lot cheaper than buying it separately
(though you are stuck with OEM help, rather than Microsoft).

---
HTH,

"Gordon" wrote in message ...
"vicki" wrote in message

ive recently bought a laptop with windows xp but i do not hav excel, i
cannot afford to buy a microsoft office installation pack. any ideas on
what else i can do??

--
vicki

Open Office 2 (1.9 Beta) will do everything the normal user of Excel needs,
is free, and will edit and save in Excel format.

Dave Peterson

The OP can also get the Student/Teacher version at her local Software store
(even BestBuy).

I'd phone first to compare prices.

And watch the Sunday advertisements for sales!

"Gordon" wrote in message ...
"vicki" wrote in message

ive recently bought a laptop with windows xp but i do not hav excel, i
cannot afford to buy a microsoft office installation pack. any ideas on
what else i can do??

--
vicki

Open Office 2 (1.9 Beta) will do everything the normal user of Excel needs,
is free, and will edit and save in Excel format.

--

Dave Peterson
Amedee Van Gasse

David McRitchie shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.newusers:

Open Office (openoffice.org) 49MB won't do macros,

David,

That is *not* true! OpenOffice /will/ do "macros". Just fire up any
OpenOffice app and go to Tools -- Macros. You see?

Currently OpenOffice has support for:
* OpenOffice.org Basic
* Python
* BeanShell
* JavaScript

That means compared to MSOffice 3 programming/scripting languages more
to choose from!

OpenOffice.org Basic is essentially the same as Visual Basic for
Applications - but the MSOffice and OpenOffice object models are
totally different, so any VBA macro would have to be converted to use
the new objects. The algorithms (the "real" programming goo) would
remain the same.

--
Amedee Van Gasse