PaulStroik

Default Adding columns (one with a formula)

When I try to enter a formula in a fourth column get a sum of three
other columns only two of the three other columns work. The one column
which does not has an extensive formula to it. Would this be the reason
why? I receive no errors when entering the column 4 formula. Here is the
formula I enter in E7.

=SUM(E4,E5,E6)

Only E5 and E6 work. E4 has another formula in it. Would this cause it
not to work in the total of E7?

Thanks in advance for any help in this.

--
PaulStroik
PaulStroik's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24640

Bill Kuunders

It should add all three cells.
It works for me.

Does your formula in E4 work?
Is the result in E4 numeric?

Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K
"PaulStroik" wrote
in message ...

When I try to enter a formula in a fourth column get a sum of three
other columns only two of the three other columns work. The one column
which does not has an extensive formula to it. Would this be the reason
why? I receive no errors when entering the column 4 formula. Here is the
formula I enter in E7.

=SUM(E4,E5,E6)

Only E5 and E6 work. E4 has another formula in it. Would this cause it
not to work in the total of E7?

Thanks in advance for any help in this.

--
PaulStroik
PaulStroik's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=382343

Ragdyer

Post the formula in E4.

RD

"PaulStroik" wrote
in message ...

When I try to enter a formula in a fourth column get a sum of three
other columns only two of the three other columns work. The one column
which does not has an extensive formula to it. Would this be the reason
why? I receive no errors when entering the column 4 formula. Here is the
formula I enter in E7.

=SUM(E4,E5,E6)

Only E5 and E6 work. E4 has another formula in it. Would this cause it
not to work in the total of E7?

Thanks in advance for any help in this.

--
PaulStroik
PaulStroik's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=382343

PaulStroik

Yes, the formula in E4 does work. Here it is. I have the cell formatted
as 'General'.

=IF((D5<1),"0",IF((D5=1),"40",IF((D5<7),"80",IF((D 5<12),"120",IF((D5<20),
"160",IF((D520), "200"))))))

Thank you both for your prompt response. I am enjoying the challenge of
figuring this out but need closure before frustration sets in.

And Greetings - New Zealand - from WI, USA

--
PaulStroik
PaulStroik's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=382343

Ragdyer

Didn't you happen to notice that the data returned from your formula in E4
was displayed left justified.
That should have given you a hint, since the other numbers would have been
right justified, MEANING ... that the returns from the E4 formula were
*Text*!

They are text because you placed quotes (" ") around the "numbers" in the
formula.
The Sum() function *doesn't* sum text.

Easy fix.
Remove the quotes!
--
HTH,

RD

"PaulStroik" wrote
in message ...

Yes, the formula in E4 does work. Here it is. I have the cell formatted
as 'General'.

=IF((D5<1),"0",IF((D5=1),"40",IF((D5<7),"80",IF((D 5<12),"120",IF((D5<20),
"160",IF((D520), "200"))))))

Thank you both for your prompt response. I am enjoying the challenge of
figuring this out but need closure before frustration sets in.

And Greetings - New Zealand - from WI, USA

--
PaulStroik
PaulStroik's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=382343

PaulStroik

Ragdyer;

Thank you. That worked. Much to learn and need to see and understand
what I'm looking at as well as understand what I'm entering.

Thanks again.

--
PaulStroik
PaulStroik's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=382343

Biff

In addition to RD's solution....

You don't need all of those ( ) around your logical conditions.....AND.....
if D5=20 then your formula will return FALSE.

You could shorten it to:

=IF(D5<1,0,IF(D5=1,40,IF(D5<7,80,IF(D5<12,120,IF(D 5<20,160,200)))))

OR maybe even this if D5 will be whole numbers:

=LOOKUP(D5,{0,0;1,40;2,80;7,120;12,160;20,200})

Biff

"PaulStroik" wrote
in message ...

Yes, the formula in E4 does work. Here it is. I have the cell formatted
as 'General'.

=IF((D5<1),"0",IF((D5=1),"40",IF((D5<7),"80",IF((D 5<12),"120",IF((D5<20),
"160",IF((D520), "200"))))))

Thank you both for your prompt response. I am enjoying the challenge of
figuring this out but need closure before frustration sets in.

And Greetings - New Zealand - from WI, USA

--
PaulStroik
PaulStroik's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=382343